Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ralph W.), 583 guests
Newest Members
Obiliro, ConnorWood, DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD(41383 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rome itinerary #46981 09/01/04 02:39 PM
dougburns Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Haven't been to Rome since 1960. We arrive there 22 Oct at @ 1010 in the morning and have private car transport to the Intercontinental. We're on a 3 day pre-cruise prior to boarding the Diamond on 25 Oct. I've worked a basic itinerary and would welcome comments from recent visitors to Rome. Oct 22: After arrival at the hotel (@noon), drop our bags and freshen up a bit. Then walk to the Spanish Steps and have tea at Babington's Tea Room. Then walk to Trevi Fountain and back to the hotel. Change for dinner and proceed to La Terrazza at the Eden Hotel(great view, as I remember). After dinner go back to the hotel and crash. Oct 23: Late breakfast at the hotel(included). Take our included half day private car tour to Palantine Hill/Colosseum, and to the Pantheon/Piazza Novona. If time permits run over to the Vatican, but it probably won't. Late lunch at either Ristorante del Pallaro(near Piazza Navona) or at Les Etoiles in the Atlante Star Hotel(if we go for a quick overview of the Vatican). Then back to the hotel to clean up and dress for dinner at La Pergola in the Cavalieri Hilton(great view and wonderful restaurant) or at Quinzi and Gabrieli(great seafood) near the Pantheon. Then back to the hotel and bed. Oct 24: Breakfast at the hotel. Then do a walking tour and some shopping (area to be selected once we've gotten re-oriented; will probably apend some time in the Borghese Gardens). Late lunch along the way at a hotel recommended eatery. Back to the hotel @ 1700 to clean up and dress for dinner at the restaurant above that we didn't do the night before, or go to the Lord Byron for dinner. Then stroll around and have a gellato along the way. Oct 25: Liesurely late breakfast at the hotel. Then private car to the ship to arrive @ 1300. Unpack and wait for Joe&Karyn Doucet and Bob&Alice Wecht to get back from their Rome tour. Any and all comments are welcome. Thanks!

Re: Rome itinerary #46982 09/01/04 02:42 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
No comments but boy it all sounds wonderful!!! Joanna

Joanna
Re: Rome itinerary #46983 09/01/04 02:50 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Doug:

I strongly recommend the Cavalieri Hilton. It was great having a wonderful view of Rome and Vatican from our window.

I would strongly recommend walking tours through Scala Reale. They have a number of three and four hour walking tours. The two main ones are Ancient Rome (colosseum, forum, etc) and Vatican, both four hours. These are limited to six people and were 50 euros per person. We also took walking tour from Navonna to Spanish Steps at night. These are led by Art Historians, Architects, etc; usually post-graduate students. We also arranged a private tour of Villa Borghese. This ended up being a six person group when we happened to mention it to our fellow tourists on the Vatican tour. That was fantastic.

There website is www.scalareale.org. Check it out. Our guide for three of our tours was Liz, a post graduate Art historian. She was fantastic.

Her tour of Vatican was wonderful. Only four hours but we saw so much because she knew how to maximize our time at the important spots and get us around the large loud tour groups. If only for this tour, I would contact them. If you want to go to Villa Borghese and not want to have to worry about how to get tickets, I would ask for that tour too.

Re: Rome itinerary #46984 09/01/04 02:57 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Doug, how did you choose your restaurants? Only thing I'd do is add the Vatican as a definite, even if it meant less shopping, as shopping is just over the top expensive in Europe with the devalued dollar.

I would recommend a restaurant we enjoyed a few years ago for dinner, but the reason we liked it was because it was outside dining, and that might not be an option in mid-late October.

Re: Rome itinerary #46985 09/01/04 03:07 PM
Denise Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Doug,

You will love the Roma de la Ville InterCon. Fabulous hotel, service and location (however, I am very, very partial!). Breakfast in the hotel is done very nicely. Service is impeccible.

We arranged, through the Concierge, for a driver to take us to the sights that we were unable to walk to. Our driver, Roberto, did a great job. He also drove us to Tivoli, where we had an incredible lunch at Antico Ristorante Sibilla - OUTSTANDING!

Borghese Gardens is lovely and a great place to wander. This is very close to the hotel and a nice option on a day you want some serenity.

Have a wonderful time!

Denise

Retired and loving it!
Re: Rome itinerary #46986 09/02/04 04:09 AM
ColonelWes Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Doug,

Great itinerary--don't forget a gelato or two or three; if you want a different pace from upscale dining-- go to Trestaverde, a suburb (take the street car--20 min away from
Spanish Steps) of Rome--it is where many native Romans go when the eat out. Worth the visit just
to see the many street vendors before the restaurants (very reasonalbe prices)

Re: Rome itinerary #46987 09/02/04 05:02 AM
Denise Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Pizza place, off the beaten path, but within walking distance of InterCon - on Lemoncino (sp?). Outstanding little place. EXCELLENT pizza at dirt cheap prices. Ask the Concierge where this place is exactly. Also a bakery within walking distance of hotel as well as a pasta maker (little old man making pasta in his shop).

Denise

Retired and loving it!
Re: Rome itinerary #46988 09/02/04 06:52 AM
dougburns Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Olivia; The Vatican is a definite must see again. We have both been there before. If we don't do it in Oct we'll do it post cruise next spring after the Voyager Singapore-Rome. Lynn(who ests very little and primarily vegetarian) and I enjoy fine dining with a geat view, where possible, and in a romantic setting. Price is not the object; you only go around once. The restaurants were picked based on my recollection of the different areas of Rome, discussions and pictures with/from friends who visit there regularly, and recent reviews by Frommers. I did the same thing when we went to Hong Kong a couple of years ago. We ate at Gaddis, The Repulse Bay, Vong, the Plume, Jimmy's Kitchen(sentimental value), and the Peak restaurant. We were not disappointed. I always like to get and consider other's inputs though.

Re: Rome itinerary #46989 09/02/04 08:42 AM
adrenn Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Excellent gelato at Las Palmas (I think) down near the Pantheon. Lots of choice for flavors and they are all gooood!! Walk through piazza navona past trevi fountain past pantheon to see them all light up after dinner at night is one of our favorites. Cheers, Anne

Re: Rome itinerary #46990 09/02/04 08:51 AM
dougburns Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Anne; We plan to do that! As I remember, Piazza Navona is a great place to be at night.

Re: Rome itinerary #46991 09/02/04 09:20 PM
Fogmalkin Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Dougburns,

Next time you're in "Honkers" (as my S/O fondly calls it), we'll join you. You nailed most of our favorourite restaurants.

I'll regale you with the tales of how I planned a special event meal at La Plume for about 24 people. Whew, the logistics of it all...

Suzanne
Re: Rome itinerary #46992 09/03/04 05:14 AM
Kimmi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sounds excellent! DeLaVille Inter. is wonderful, all updated rooms. To watch the people at the spanish steps at night is fun, as is Piazza Navona and the Trevi fountain. I would echo others in seeing the Vatican, or actually St. Peters.
Restaurants sound wonderful also. Not that I have been to very many far flung place yet, but I love Rome the most!

Re: Rome itinerary #46993 09/06/04 08:17 AM
ColonelWes Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Doug,

Here is a good review of a July 04 SS cruise in/around Med..some good tidbits for your upcoming cruise:

www.shipparade.com/swind/swind0.htm

Re: Rome itinerary #46994 09/06/04 10:20 AM
C
cruiseluv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Doug,

With respect to going to the Vatican please note that the Vatican closes early on Saturday( I think last admission might be at noon) and it's closed on Sundays( except last Sunday of the month). If you can visit the Borghese Gallery, which is open on Tuesday- Sunday. You should book in advance. It has an impressive sculpture collection by Bernini, Canova and others and also a painting gallery.

Adrenn is right about Palma being one of the best gelato.

We were in Rome this past March and enjoyed L' Orso 80 in Via del Orso and La Campana in Vicolo della Campana, both near Piazza Navona( the latter claims to be Rome's oldest restaurant). They're not fancy but serve genuine italian food and are filled by locals.
Have a great time in Rome!

Re: Rome itinerary #46995 09/06/04 02:50 PM
P
peteropny Offline
cruiser
cruiser
P
A really neat restaurant in Rome is Le Eau De Vie - located fairly near the Pantheon. It's run but nuns from all over the world and was rumored to be a favorite of the Pope (before he became the Pope). Very reasonably priced too.

Re: Rome itinerary #46996 09/10/04 03:16 PM
bebop bonnie Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Don't forget SHOPPING!!!! And with the exchange rate as it is, the shopping may only be from windows....but try to wander around the Via Condotti area at the bottom of the Spanish Steps....it's so much fun!

Re: Rome itinerary #46997 09/10/04 03:58 PM
C
cruiseluv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
About shopping:

Doug you say that you might do some shopping on 10/24(Sunday). No shops other than maybe some souvenir type shops will be open.

Re: Rome itinerary #46998 09/10/04 04:27 PM
dougburns Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Since Lynn will not want to get up early Sat 23 Oct, we'll probably skip the Vatican and do it post cruise after the Voyager Singapore-Rome next Apr(Post cruise at the Cavalieri Hilton). That's great news for my wallet re the shops being closed on Sunday; had forgotten that. That means we can only window shop(SOB!). Thanks for all the inputs.

Re: Rome itinerary #46999 09/19/04 05:34 AM
dougburns Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Kimmi or anyone else who has stayed at de la Ville Intercontinental Roma, do they have converters for loan while you're there? Don't want to drag our set along if we don't need to. I'm pretty sure they have hair dryers, but can someone confirm that? Also, are the Hassler rooftop restaurant, La Terrazza(Eden), La Pergola(Cavalieri Hilton), and Le Etoiles(Atlante Star) coat and tie for dinner? How is the breakfast at the Intercontinental? Is it full American breakfast? For anyone who has done the RSSC package at the Intercontinental, can you pick your time for the included private car tour of Rome?

Re: Rome itinerary #47000 09/19/04 06:18 AM
Denise Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I didn't inquire about converters, so I can't answer that one for you.

We stayed at de la Ville on our own and we had the cost of the buffet included in our rate. Breakfast was very nicely done - pastries, breads, cheeses, fruits, wonderful coffee, espresso,and cappucino. I also ordered eggs, which came out just as ordered. Service was outstanding. Warm, upscale atmosphere, as well.

For anyone interested, cost for breakfast at this property, at least for 2003, was 30E PP.

Denise

Retired and loving it!
Re: Rome itinerary #47001 09/30/04 03:52 AM
ColonelWes Offline
cruiser
cruiser
doug,

found this post on a 28 June Diamond review
of Rome itinerary, the restaurant sounds like
one you may want to try:

For dinner in Rome, don't miss the new restaurant with the chef trained at the Cavaliere's famous Le Pergola (what a view of Rome from there!), L'Altro Mastai. It's near the Piazza Navona, beautiful, formal but not stuffy, with incredibly creative haute cuisine that was the best of our trip. We liked it so much we returned the following evening.

r/wes

Re: Rome itinerary #47002 09/30/04 05:32 AM
dougburns Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Thanks Wes! We may give that one a try on Sunday evening, if they're open. I'll look it up. Plan for Sunday as of now is to have breakfast at the hotel and then walk across the Tiber to the Vatican side for lunch at Le Etoiles in the Atlante Star with a nice view of the Vatican. After that we plan to walk back across the Tiber to Piazza Navona and the Pantheon, spending some time at each, and then go to dinner somewhere in that area before walking back to the Intercontinental. Saturday is our private car tour in the morning after breakfast, lunch at Del Pallaro near the Pantheon; some walking and then dinner at La Pergola. We're doing the Spanish Steps, Babington's Tea Room and Trevi Fountain by foot in the afternoon on Friday after our arrival. If we manage that, I'm sure Lynn will be ready to crash without going to dinner that evening.

Re: Rome itinerary #47003 09/30/04 06:27 AM
dougburns Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Wes; Do you happen to have any info on L'Altro Mastai re location and hours of operation? All I can find is the article from the 2004 hot list in Conde Nast Traveller and it doesn't give the location or hours. I'm sure the concierge at the hotel will know, but I like to plan ahead where ever possible. Thanks!

Re: Rome itinerary #47004 09/30/04 06:53 AM
KarenS Offline
Doug, I could only find a little bit of info on the restaurant. Take in consideration that the description has been translated from Italian to English :)

Address
Via Giraud 53 ang. Via dei Banchi Nuovi
00186, Roma (RM)

Weekly closing
August 7-31

Holydays
August 7 - 31

Notes
The bread and the cakies are made in house and come used produced biological.
To every season a new one is accompanied menu.
The wine cellar de?L?Altro Mastai, fruit of a continuous research work, counts 1200 labels and offers one selection of the best Italian and foreign productions, above all French.
To the paper of wines the paper is accompanied of distills to you, with un?attenta chosen of products and vintage years of pregio.

Price Average
65.00 €

L\'altro Mastai website in English

Email for reservations and info: restaurant@laltromastai.it

[Linked Image]

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Rome itinerary #47005 09/30/04 07:16 AM
ColonelWes Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Karen,

You are the treasure trove of all research
here at LCT..now if I could just figure out
how to get to Rome. Thank you.

Re: Rome itinerary #47006 09/30/04 08:43 AM
dougburns Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Thanks, Karen! At least I can e-mail them and find out what their hours are. Many of the better restaurants in Rome are closed on Sunday.

Re: Rome itinerary #47007 10/02/04 08:39 AM
dougburns Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Darn! Now we're really torn between. Just got an e-mail back from the L'Altro Mastai restaurant and they're closed Sunday and Monday. We definitely want to have dinner at La Pergola for the view and they're closed Sunday as well. Don't think Lynn will make it to dinner Friday night after the long trip, so I guess we'll have to hit L'Altro Mastai after the Voyager cruise next Spring. Sounds like a great restaurant.

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers