Sorry, Masaki and I have been doing errands all night. Ngaire, I can't believe you know 6 people who got GBS! I can't blame you for not wanting to get the flu shot. It IS a horrible disease.
The flu is specifically the influenza virus. There are thousands of viruses out there and most people catch a common cold. The flu is a pretty miserable experience in and of itself, although not as bad as GBS. High fevers for several days, horrible body aches. I had it over 10 years ago and still remember being in bed for 3 days straight and missing my chemistry midterm.
The vaccine only immunizes you against the 3 most common strains for that year. And if you're not in a high risk category, you really don't need the vaccine. Just lots of handwashing and avoid rubbing your eyes and nose.
I'm off my soap box now! :)