Gil, you made me laugh about the Nikon people vs the Canon People. That is almost true! There is a photo club where we go on day trips to shoot and share equipment here in LA and we have one Nikon shooter - the rest are all Canon. It's great because we can share ideas and toys before we buy too much stuff. It's addictive, yes?
We're going to San Fransico to take a class on event/people photography from my instructor at the Santa Fe Workshops (Sarah Meeghan Lee) who works primarily as a Travel Writer/Photojournalist in September.
I had the Tamron 18-200 which is a macro lens and it was not crisp enough at the long end (higher number) - I used it for my trip to Italy with my 20D but sold it. Mostly I do Macro or wide angle. I've since bought the Canon L series 24-70 2.8 lens which is incredible.
Although I have Photoshop, I come from an old school photo background so my goal is that what comes out of my camera is the final product. That isn't always the case.
I just picked up a new client yesterday who is a professional photographer who does very high end adverstizing product and architectural shooting and he is going to mentor me for some more advanced work in exchange for being an assistant once in a while when he needs one.