Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Davefr, Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 1,034 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: TBS (Turkey and Black Sea) Mail #98219 09/25/09 06:12 PM
adrenn Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
The weather juju has been nothing short of amazing this trip. Spectacular weather held up again yesterday. All of our guides, too, have been excellent. Both of those factors make this one very special trip.

I concur with David re: the monastery tour. It's a really interesting place to visit, but the path there is challenging for many on board. The tour was monastery in the morning; lunch onboard the ship; Ataturk's seafront residence, an old church and the mosque in the afternoon. Nearly all made it to the monastery, but several did not return after lunch for the rest of the tour.

I thought Ataturk's seafront residence was interesting and the church had quite a history to go with the frescos.

Our guide was absolutely outstanding. We hit a traffic block on the way to the church. For some unknown reason, she then slowed us down at the church. As she was taking us into the church, a german tour group went in front first. That meant she needed 15 more minutes, so pointed out ship scratchings in the outside walls. We lost interest, took a look inside & wandered off for a look at the Trabzon silver jewelry.

It was the end of a school day, so the children were lined up at the windows, waving to us getting on the bus and giggling amongst themselves.

Our guide and driver then made a run for the mosque with about 20 minutes to the all aboard time. Sure enough, there was another roadblock. Those who chose to see the mosque hoofed it about 3 blocks. I did not have a head scarf with me, so opted out.

We made it back to the ship about 10 minutes late; the other bus was another 10-15 minutes behind us. We hauled out of the harbor. The captain was on the wing bridge, keeping tabs on the pilot and getting us on our way to the Bosphoros. Like the Panama and Suez Canals, traffic only runs one way through the Bosphoros. There was a pre-dinner concert with our classical singer.

Afterwards, we met friends in Galileo's and tried Compass Rose around 8:15 for dinner. No tables available, either for 2 or 4, so we decamped to the navigator lounge, where the others on the wait list were cooling their heels. The dining room called up by room number when tables were ready. It took 20 minutes or so before a table was available. At 9:30, compass rose was still packed. The staff had a late evening, I'm afraid.

The motown show was also good in the lounge. I rarely go to the shows, but they've been particularly good on this trip. I also like the layout of the lounge on this ship - more like the Silver Whisper. The rows are much higher, so you can easily see over the person in front of you.

The plan is for us to go through the Dardenelles around 9:30 pm tonight. We'll see Istanbul with all her night lights shining. It should be great.

Cheers, Anne

Re: TBS (Turkey and Black Sea) Mail #98220 09/25/09 07:10 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
I had missed this thread under Travelogues was looking for you under sea mail. Fun to read what I missed though all at one time. I have some of that Silver Trabzon jewelry, just a small piece but I love it. I do remember the traffic issues they were certainly very prevelant in Trabzon. Glad you have had good weather it does make all the difference.

Re: TBS (Turkey and Black Sea) Mail #98221 09/26/09 11:55 AM
adrenn Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Second try .. first lost to cyberspace.

It's approaching midnight & we're sailing through the heart of Istanbul. Topkapi palace fully light; half moon int he sky. Cool does not begin to describe it.

Sea day today .. ahhh. We WON at trivia (first tokens this cruise). if in doubt, the answers were greece or chocolate. used bingo to monetize more of our Amex credit. We're $72 to the good on the bingo strategy.

Dardenelles around 6:30 tomorrow morning, so signing off. Should be good to see the transit. gold event tomorrow is the sail-in party at 11:30 to Lesbos Island in Greece.

got the bag tags tonight for leaving. Ugh!

Cheers, Anne

Re: TBS (Turkey and Black Sea) Mail #98222 09/26/09 12:16 PM
Betty K Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Can't be time for leaving, Anne! I have enjoyed your reports. No one does it with more wit and humor. Thanks!
cheer

Betty

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]
Re: TBS (Turkey and Black Sea) Mail #98223 09/27/09 03:32 AM
adrenn Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
A particularly good post - poufed again into cyberspace. Dang, I hate it went that happens.

Very short night last night. Up at 6 for Dardenelles transit. Pretty sunrise, perfect weather.

Once we transited into the Aegean, the weather juju departed. The seas have been bouncy/rocky and the navigator show lounge has been rumbling without assistance. Wind gusts have grown to 40 knots. You all know what that means .. sea day.

We're making tracks for Piraeus, watching Quantum for Solace and napping. Bags are mostly packed. Beatles pub night tonight .. should be good fun.

Can't wait to see Suzanne, Mark, John & Tonya tomorrow for lunch. Then .. out to the airport and back to London on the late night flight. Home Tuesday.

Thanks for sailing along with us. It's been great having you.

Cheers, Anne

Re: TBS (Turkey and Black Sea) Mail #98224 09/27/09 11:17 AM
G
gf Offline
cruiser
cruiser
G
Thanks, Anne; it's been great! Safe travels home!

Another Kathy
Re: TBS (Turkey and Black Sea) Mail #98225 09/27/09 11:43 AM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Anne, safe travels, (I've so enjoyed your seamails) and I'm glad you are having a get together with Suzanne and Mark, and John and Tonya. Hope it will be a fun lunch!

Re: TBS (Turkey and Black Sea) Mail #98226 09/27/09 03:00 PM
azgkrudi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
As always, it's been such a treat to read about your travels, Anne! Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip home.

Kristin

Paul Gauguin's Tere Moana-12/14
Voyager-10/08, 11/10
Navigator-05/07, 5/09, 10/11
Paul Gauguin-6/06, 12/07
Silver Shadow-12/06
Silver Whisper-11/05, 12/04
Silver Wind-4/04
Re: TBS (Turkey and Black Sea) Mail #98227 09/29/09 12:18 AM
adrenn Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Thanks all - I'm glad you enjoyed the virtual tour! We had a wonderful time visiting with Suzanne, John, Tonya, Mark, Greg and Vivian. For some reason, Greek immigration had trouble after the first few passengers. Mark, Suzanne, Gary & I made it aboard around 12:30; the other four were caught in the snafu. They didn't make it aboard for another 45 minutes.

Stelios was a superb guide. We drove along the seaside in the morning, circled back to pick up Greg and Vivian. Stelios then demonstrated the fine art of the Greek taxi service, complete with ropes and careful suitcase stacking. After we departed Navigator, we went to the highest point in Athens. It was amazing to see the Acropolis from above. Stelios is like the mayor of Athens. He drove us past the US embassy, then took us into the Olympics main stadium. He was waved on through, and we were privileged to stand in the stadium, taking it in, near the torch. He then zoomed along to the airport, arriving precisely at 5 pm. It turns out he worked for a Greek shipping company in New Orleans for 25 years, so we talked about all the time he spent over in the Mississippi coast on the weekends. Big thumbs up for Stelios.

Immigration/passport control was a mess in both Greece and UK. It didn't help the folks in front of us were heckling the immigration agents. Could cavity searches be far behind?

We met David (H2O bound), who was right behind us at Heathrow. I have not seen so many passengers singled out for 'special handling' in the arrival halls. It wasn't particularly busy .. so I wonder what, if anything, was up.

Once we finished with the inquisition, we pulled our bags from the carousel and headed out. An older gentleman, sporting his Maui hat and at least a 7 day beard, decided he was going to find out for himself just what in god's green earth was going on with BA 633. As we exited customs, he was preparing to slide through the doors. We cautioned him NOT to continue, assuring him 50 more passengers (at least) were behind us. All to no avail .. he was in the company of the local police in the following few moments. That's likely to be an airline greeting story that will live on in that family for a few years.

Back at Heathrow this morning, waiting for our flight. Lounge is quite empty. I'd forgetten this is one of the best Skyteam lounges around. Fresh strawberries - it's been at least a week since we've seen them - and mushroom omelettes. Mmmmm .. life is good!

Cheers, Anne

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers