Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Davefr, Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 948 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: New Tier Levels #82446 07/29/05 07:16 AM
C
cruiseluv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
The same applies to the Navigator. I wouldn't want to be "upgraded" to a cabin on the back of that ship.

Re: New Tier Levels #82447 07/29/05 07:26 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I think the best one cat upgrade is the one Marcie mentioned: Cat D to Cat C on Mariner. That is an expensive upgrade while H to G on Voyager isn't that much money.

Re: New Tier Levels #82448 07/29/05 09:43 AM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
Ah but on the Navigator with them reassigning the F balcony to the back now you could get an E (which used to be an F). Also sometimes the higher categories may have a more mid ship location as they dont sell as fast as the lower categories. I think the one category upgrade is going to be a big bonus in many situations for various different reasons.

Re: New Tier Levels #82449 07/29/05 09:47 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire, I checked website again this week. Navigator deck plan still shows those 6-odd cabins as Cat F instead of Cat E. When will they be updated or have they gone back to old deck plans?

Re: New Tier Levels #82450 07/29/05 10:49 AM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
It is not in effect until January 2006 so that is probably when they will change the web. If you book a 2006 Navigator cruise the changes are in effect for booking.

Re: New Tier Levels #82451 07/29/05 01:04 PM
Freddie Offline
cruiser
cruiser
With all due respect to certain other posters, I do not think there are two reasonable sides to this priority dining issue. All (that is to say ALL) passengers on RSSC ships pay for the same access to all the dining opportunities. There is no discount offered to new passengers to compensate them for diminished access to the specialty restaurants. It is utterly inaccurate (not to mention inappropriate, absurd, and even possibly immoral) to attempt to equate other quite legitimate perks for former passengers (such as special fares, reduced prices for laundry, a bottle or two of good booze, etc. - none of which reduces the ability of a new passenger to get his or her full entitlements on the ship) to perks (such as priority reservations) which quash the rights and expectations of any passenger, new or old. We must focus on what all passengers are promised as part of the basic contract with the ship. When the cruiseline chooses to give additional benefits to former passengers, that is perfectly fine, as long as it does not infringe on the benefits the other passengers have paid for. Of course ships and planes often offer upgrades to premium passengers (I have often enjoyed that perk on the airlines I fly most frequently); but that is not at all the same as a travel provider taking away a privilege which is included in the fare. That would be comparable to an airline taking away my reserved seat to give it to a frequent flyer. That would be totally outrageous, as would be this priority reservations idea if put into effect by RSSC.

Just my humble opinion, of course. Cheers, Fred

Re: New Tier Levels #82452 07/29/05 02:56 PM
Kathy Z Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ah Freddie,

How did you know that seat assignments Bill and I had on an airline were given to someone else and we were transferred to other seats on the aircraft? At least the seats were together. We were there more than 2 hours early for a domestic flight so that was not the problem.

Wendy - you and David have 1 more day with RSSC than we do.

With 34 days I doubt that we will ever get enough days to qualify for special benefits but free laundry or internet use would be our first choices after any discounts that are given for Society members. As others have mentioned we like the fact that we have never felt like second class passengers on Radisson even though we have all of our days in the two lowest categories.

Kathy
Re: New Tier Levels #82453 07/29/05 03:12 PM
Michele & Don Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Well, as a first time sailor, I guess I may be using room service a lot.......!

Michele

Michele
Re: New Tier Levels #82454 07/29/05 04:21 PM
Island Girl Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I think it speaks volumes regarding the type of person who chooses to sail with RSSC, just from the concern in this thread to be sure that first-time cruisers get equal treatment.

We are a cool bunch and this is one of the main reasons that we like RSSC so much -- such nice cruisers on board.

Don't worry first time cruisers, you are in for a treat, and you'll be treated like royalty. RSSC is smart enough to know that the first impression is the most important and they know if you have a fantasic first cruise, you'll be back for more. (Like most of us!)

To all the rest, I think your concerns are wonderful, I agree that we should all get a fair shot. Looking forward to seeing you on board!

Aloha.

MARINER Alaska 2007
SILVER WHISPER South China Seas 2006
VOYAGER PARTY 2005
MARINER Pacific Coast 2004
MARINER Alaska 2001

Re: New Tier Levels #82455 07/29/05 04:38 PM
X
xrvlcruiser Offline
cruiser
cruiser
X
I agree with Fred . . . and hopefully the powers that be are reading this thread and taking in what we as passengers with varying amounts of days on board have to say.

I have a "just curious" question regarding the Crystal perks: does a 7 week trip count the same as the whole world cruise?

Peggy

Re: New Tier Levels #82456 07/29/05 05:20 PM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Fred, hear hear.

Kathy Z.--how did we get a whole day ahead of you!

On Crystal perks, are they talking cruises, or cruise days, totally confused??

Wendy
------
Booked: Uniworld Egypt, 2015
Tauck Amsterdam to Budapest, 2016
Paul Gauguin, Societies & Tuamotus 2016
Re: New Tier Levels #82457 07/29/05 08:11 PM
Gatowoman Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Michele and Don,

Nothing beats RSSC room service!!!

Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends ~~M. Angelou~~
Re: New Tier Levels #82458 07/29/05 08:16 PM
Gatowoman Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Come on Radisson, don't start a caste system with the "priority" restaurant bookings for SSS members...leave that to the behemoths such as Cunard. Perk us up with some more discreet perks such as shipboard credit, category upgrades or a tin of caviar!! Keep the dining rooms free of charges (as in, you don't charge us for the "priviledge" to eat at Signatures or Latitudes like some other "lines" do) and keep it open to all, first come, first served!!

Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends ~~M. Angelou~~
Re: New Tier Levels #82459 07/30/05 02:13 AM
JAM Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc, you mentioned that the Crystal Society program for past passengers does not mention the alternative restaurant reservations. While perks can always change, the way they stand now is that is not a Crystal Society perk. When a stateroom passenger (new or past) pays six months prior to the cruise (as opposed to within three months or a penthouse passenger pays (whenever), he/she may pre-register for the alternative restaurants (a limited number of nights in each one); make reservations for classes in the Computer University or Creative Learning Institute; make salon or spa appointments; and have priority with shore excursions although approximately 90 days before sailing anyone may make shore excursions on line. Laundry facilities and soap, etc. are free on all Crystal ships as well as all specialty coffees, sodas, juices, ice cream bar, etc. (but not wine or alcoholic beverages).Judith

Re: New Tier Levels #82460 07/30/05 04:30 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
This discussion has gone down a strange path. Let me ask a couple of questions and present a couple of scenarios.

I can't find the right number so I will use an estimate of 80 seats in Signatures. They can turn the whole restaurant over once so that is 160 per night. Let us say Voyager is full with 700 pax (i.e., there are as many three person cabins as single passenger cabins). Let us say everyone wants to eat at Signatures during the cruise. There is total room for 1120 passenger meals to be taken in Signatures.

Setting up a priority system does not limit anyone from eating at Signatures. All 700 passengers get to eat at least once if not twice or more.

However, lets say I want to eat on Tuesday because my favorite meals are on the menu in Compass Rose on Monday and Wednesday. Well, 160 people get to eat in Signatures on Tuesday. Who should have first choice on eating there on Tuesday. What real harm have I done to any sailor by choosing Tuesday? Have any of us always gotten our first choice for dinners in Signatures?

Now, let me go out on a limb since I don't know the real information as I have never gone to the spa. Let us say that the spa can only perform 150 massages on a cruise. How do you determine which of the 700 passengers that want massages get to have one? Normal economics would say that they should raise the prices until demand only equals supply; do we really want them to raise prices? Or, which of the 350 ladies on board get to have their hair done on formal night? I know that there is not room for all since Arlene has not always been able to get an appointment. So, if Arlene gets priority on formal night, that is not limiting anyone from getting an appointment on another day. Of course, they could just raise salon prices on formal night to lower demand; does anyone prefer that?

Maybe spa appointments are plentiful too. Maybe I am wrong in hypothesizing that there is a limited number os spa appointments. Then, all we are doing is setting priorities.

In both instances, there are multiple ways to set priorities. The mass market approach...everyone race to the spa on embarkation. The current Radisson aproach........everyone queue at spa at certain time on embarkation day. Or maybe, for repeat customers, the chance to not have to queue up.

Now, to close, I think many of us (including me) have been hypocritical. Many of us, including me, have gone on embarkation day and made Signatures or Latitudes reservations for a party of 4, 6, or 8. Then a friend or family member, has done the same. End result, we have eaten in Signatures or Latitudes much more often than those that did not know "how to play the system." This way of playing the system has been recommended many times both on cc and here. I know many of us here have done the same. I also remember cruising with a wonderful couple on Diamond. He was in a wheel chair and she pushed him around everywhere. I wonder how they did in terms of getting dining reservations on their trip on Voyager. It would sure have been nice if they had some way of getting a reservation to Signature without standing in line.

-------------
I am not going to apologize for wanting dining priorities. Unlike some here, I never book big suites. Those in big suites already get priority for dining reservations; that is one role of the butler. (This is same situation as JAM posted regarding Crystal.) I think us guys booking small suites but booking often, should get some perks.

There is total room in all specialty dining rooms (except for maybe Latitudes) for all to get a chance. All we are talking about is selection of night. Also, there is no talk of priority system at Compass Rose. That restaurant can seat all of us.

I hope many of you that disagree with me would still like to cruise with me. Otherwise, since I seem to stand alone on this question, it will sure be lonely on future cruises. :(

Thanks for listening,

Marc

Re: New Tier Levels #82461 07/30/05 05:00 AM
Ray Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc:

I'll still do ROAR with you!

While you appear to be a detail person, do I note a dry sense of humor too?

Cheers! Ray

Re: New Tier Levels #82462 07/30/05 05:09 AM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
I think Marc has some very valid points here actually. As I said earlier I could make a strong case either way on this issue.

I will cruise with you to the ends of the earth Marc if you help me win trivia (and I will give you my tokens and not keep them for Ralph - IF you are on my team) I dont care what your stand is on priority dining and spa appointments.

RSSC will do whatever the powers to be decide and either way I think it will all work out fine. One thing for sure you cannot please all the people.

You have NO idea how many complaints I get about the pre-reserving of shore excursions by computer. Anyone who is not comfortable with a computer (usually a little older) thinks it is age discrimination. It doesnt always work right so people get frustrated, people think there should be instant confirmation etc etc etc. I hear it all the time. Been a wonderful thing for the computer literate though and so much better than those long lines that used to be around the tour desk.

Along with many other things we all consider normal and dont give a second thought to someone does not like. What is a "positive" thing to one is a "negative" to another.

Re: New Tier Levels #82463 07/30/05 05:42 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Peggy, how many days total on RSSC do you have? I would imagine you have the most of anyone on this board (except Ngaire probably).

Marcie

Re: New Tier Levels #82464 07/30/05 05:53 AM
Gatowoman Offline
cruiser
cruiser

I hope many of you that disagree with me would still like to cruise with me. Otherwise, since I seem to stand alone on this question, it will sure be lonely on future cruises. :(

Marc [/QB]
Marc, I think many of us (incluing meself) look forward to cruising with you one of these days... ;)

Re: New Tier Levels #82465 07/30/05 06:00 AM
KarenS Offline
Marc, I still want to hang with you and Arlene! You can be my mentor and help me to get my first token :)

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: New Tier Levels #82466 07/30/05 06:35 AM
Yallcruise Online
cruiser
cruiser
Marc,

We will be happy to cruise with you and Arlene, any time any place. For now only RSSC knows for sure what the perks will be. Any way they go is okay with me, anything is better than nothing.

Carolyn

Re: New Tier Levels #82467 07/30/05 06:38 AM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ditto the above Marc - I think we can all agree to disagree and still enjoy each other -

Joanna
Re: New Tier Levels #82468 07/30/05 06:54 AM
Denise Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc,

We may all have different perspectives and points of view. This makes for lively discussion/debate.

While I may or may not agree with some of the things you say, I always respect your comments and admire your intelligence and reasoning.

Alan and I had a wonderful time cruising and touring with you and Arlene on VOF. We were sorely disappointed when you canceled DOF. You're a great cruise companion (and, I love Arlene!), whom we hope to have the pleasure of cruising with many times in the future!

I think your analysis, above, boggles the mind! Keep it coming, my friend!

Denise

Retired and loving it!
Re: New Tier Levels #82469 07/30/05 07:18 AM
ITravelNow Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc...I would love to cruise with you and Arlene...hopefully sometime in the near future.

In the meantime, as they say, "whatever floats your boat". Tom and I are pretty happy just dining in the Compass Rose...if we get to Signatures once a cruise that's probably a miracle (Tom thinks the food is too "fussy")...so if that's the perk, it's no perk to him.

Hopefully, they will offer a variety of options so that we can pick something that seems special to us. And in the meantime, you can make your group reservation in Signature and enjoy many wonderful meals. :)

I think the best perk is free cruise days...ala Seabourn after 140 days! But we've had a hard time finishing our last 7 days to get it. Just haven't found the cruise we want.

Margo
Re: New Tier Levels #82470 07/30/05 08:05 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
To answer Peggy's question regarding Crystal. This is how it works:

Cruise Levels:

One cruise up to 24 days: Guests receive credit for one cruise level.
One cruise of 25 days or more: Guests receive credit for two cruise levels.
Cruise levels are posted at the conclusion of each cruise.
Cruise levels are cumulative, are not deducted after earned, and do not expire unless the program is discontinued.
Cruise levels are non-transferable, and are rewarded to the individual who sails and not the person who pays.
So, a cruiser that sails 15 seven day cruises gets credit for 15 cruises. A cruiser on world cruise gets credit for 2 cruises.

Re: New Tier Levels #82471 07/30/05 08:13 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
IMO, something seems wrong with that picture. The total cost of 15 seven day cruises could be less than the cost of 1 world cruise.????

This reminds me some hotel programs that count "stays" and not nights stayed. I know people who would actually check in, then check back in again since it counted as another "Stay".

Marcie

Re: New Tier Levels #82472 07/30/05 08:18 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marcie, exactly. I was surprised when I found that on Crystal site. At Hilton, you can make Diamond three ways: stays (28), days (60), or dollars ($10,000). I know people that go to three different hotels within a week (they have cracked down on checking out and in at same hotel) to get three stays. Since I always make it via all three means, I often complain that Hilton is giving away too much money to these not very good for them customers at my expense. So far, though, it hasn't adversely impacted me. I am thinking, though, that Hilton (and the others) will try to crack down even more on this jumping between hotels.

Re: New Tier Levels #82473 07/30/05 09:04 AM
S
sealover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
S
I would definately prefer what Crystal and Seabourn do for their loyal passengers as apposed to what Radisson plans to do. The one category upgrade doesn't mean much as some passengers are already getting higher upgrades then that. A free cruise would sound VERY good to me. I agree with the comments regarding dining room reservations. Marc are you sure about the way Crystal counts their segments if you are on a WC?.I think there has been a lot of good imput on this particular site and I hope the powers to be are listening.

Re: New Tier Levels #82474 07/30/05 09:13 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
No, I am not sure. I was just going by their site which states cruises 25 days or more get two credits. Maybe they get credits based on segments. I sure wouldn't want to book a 50 days cruise, even, and get credit for only two cruises.

Sealover, what is it in the Radisson plans as stated so far that you don't like?

Re: New Tier Levels #82475 07/30/05 09:24 AM
KarenS Offline
Was this always on the RSSC site or is it a recent addition?

Society Sailings

1- Category Upgrade through 9/30/05

One Category Upgrade for Seven Seas Society Members ONLY...

RSSC is pleased to offer a 1-category upgrade (across all categories) for Seven Seas Society Members ONLY* on the below 2006 Baltic voyages:

1-Category Upgrade!

Seven Seas Navigator
July 01, 2006
July 08, 2006
July 15, 2006
July 22, 2006

Seven Seas Voyager
July 01, 2006
July 08, 2006
July 15, 2006
July 22, 2006
July 29, 2006
August 05, 2006
August 12, 2006
August 19, 2006

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: New Tier Levels #82476 07/30/05 09:30 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
That is new as of around Monday or Tuesday. That was originally reported by Jancruz last week.

Re: New Tier Levels #82477 07/30/05 09:32 AM
KarenS Offline
Thanks Marc, I just now noticed it. This bit of info is new to me as well. I first sailed on the Song of Flower in '95. I wonder how many past passengers they had then :)

About the Society
The Seven Seas Society began in 1993 with six repeat guests invited to cocktails in the Captain's quarters. Today, the Society numbers in excess of 90,000 active members throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Japan and Europe.

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: New Tier Levels #82478 07/30/05 09:49 AM
S
sealover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
S
Marc, I would still prefer to have a free cruise instead of some of the things Radisson mentiones. As far as upgrades are concerned, I know of people who are sailing on a Radisson ship for the first time and are getting upgraded to penthouse suites from lower categories. If Radisson gives free internet service, can you imagine how people will take advantage of it and stay on line for hours?They'll abuse this just as they did ordering caviar everynight in their suites. We already get special events ashore and I see no reason for priority boarding as there is no problem boarding the ship earlier now.Free laundry would be nice but you do meet interesting people in the laundry room so I would gladly continue doing laundry and getting a free cruise.

Re: New Tier Levels #82479 07/30/05 10:00 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Makes sense! Only one I would really like is free internet. I assume there will be some limitation even on free internet. Free laundry would be nice too since our cleaning bill onboard is hgher than our bar bill.

I agree with you about the free cruise.

Re: New Tier Levels #82480 07/30/05 10:19 AM
JAM Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc, you are reading the current 2005 Crystal Society benefits. In the next month or so, they will be announcing the 2006 plan and we've been told there will be some changes. At present, every five cruises (starting with number 10 -- five is a single upgrade), passengers get a double upgrade. Personally, I'm hoping that they go by a day count rather than a cruise count as we normally take 12-17 day cruises. Crystal has some 7-8-10 day cruises so people can have more "cruises" than we do while we could have twice the "days". Their Crystal Society and on board booking discounts and on board credit are very generous and I'm hoping they don't change. Judith

Re: New Tier Levels #82481 07/30/05 10:29 AM
KarenS Offline
I think it would be much easier to do the shipboard credit, then you could apply it to whatever you wanted, internet charges, laundry and your bar bill!!

Free laundry services wouldn't apply to me as I bring enough clothes for twice the length of my cruise. I only get on the internet usually once during my cruise to say hi to LCT.

The only thing that is usually charged to my acct. is beverages, excursions and boutique purchases, all which I could apply the shipboard credit to. Oh and onboard booking deposits, are those on their too?

I miss the good old days when Radisson offered credit on some of it's sailings.

My idea of perfection would be catagory upgrades, %5 to 10% off future cruises and shipboard credit.

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: New Tier Levels #82482 07/30/05 10:49 AM
X
xrvlcruiser Offline
cruiser
cruiser
X
Marc and Sealover:

Rather than free internet, how about a specific credit amount for the internet, charged at that amount's rate - or better yet a regular credit to our shipboard account so that we could use it as we saw fit?

Peggy

Re: New Tier Levels #82483 07/30/05 11:19 AM
jgnaip Offline
cruiser
cruiser
My two cents worth on this issue is: free cruises after a certain number of days.Spoken like a couple who have 206 days on Radisson! I think we should qualify for at least a 7 dayer free, don't you? Jean

Jean

"Never pass up an opportunity
to go for a joyride"
Re: New Tier Levels #82484 07/30/05 11:35 AM
captjohn Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Aloha
Marc, I guess we will be the first ones to cruise with you, and we are looking forward to it !!! We are in cabin #744, so give us a call so we can meet you and Arlene. We plan to arrive Hong Kong on the 10th and go directly to the ship, eat something and go to bed ! I think our flight from Honolulu will take about 12 hrs. No direct flight from here, so a change of planes in Taipei.
See you on board.
John & Christina

Re: New Tier Levels #82485 07/30/05 11:42 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
John & Christina:

We will see you on board. We arrive morning of 9th after stops in Atlanta, New York, and Seoul. We are on a guarantee so we still don't know cabin. My folks are in 740 (or is it 741).

Its finally getting close!

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers