Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Ngaire, seadog, Jim B, 1 invisible), 920 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hunt for our Next Cruise #67114 12/06/06 02:10 AM
J
JanR Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
After an 18-month hiatus from our PG B2B cruise, the wife and I are looking for a good cruise to take in May 2007.

We've been on the RSSC website and see numerous offerings to include several Med cruises, a enticing 11-day San Fran to Vancover jaunt up to Alaska, and of course, there is the PG which includes a crossing over to Fiji.

Our budget puts us looking at about a $5K per person planning factor before misc expenses.

What do we want to do? That's easy, escape from our children for 7-14 days. Outside of that, there isn't too many constraints. We could see ourselves diving in French Polynesia again, relaxing as we cross through the inland passage way of the Northwest, or discovering the culture, beauty, and romance of the Med coast.

What we are unfamiliar with is which iteneraries others have cruised and which seem the best value. Nor do we have an appreciation of the differences between the the Mariner and the Navigator (except that Mariner is 100% balcony and the Navigator balconies only above the F class suites-I think).

So, we cast our lot to the collective wisdom of LCT to help guide us to the perfect RSSC cruise in May.

Suggestions? Comments? War Stories?

We eagerly await your guidence.

v/r

Jan and Tracey

RSSC-PG: 2 Laps of Tahiti (B2B)2005
RSSC-Voyager: Barcelona-Rome 2007
NCL-Spirit: NY-Bahamas-NY 2008

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67115 12/06/06 02:32 AM
adrenn Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Dear Jan and Tracey - as far as pure value, the shoulder season cruises are the best values, along with the transatlantic crossings. The May SF to Alaska certainly falls into this category. If it's a 2 for 1, that's generally among the best values you'll find on RSSC. Once in a while, they will throw in a one or two category upgrade. Free air is also an option, but rarely if it's a 2 for 1.

For us, value is related to destination. We've always enjoyed the Med cruises as we enjoy seeing the ancient sites along with some beach time. If you love the water, a repeat on the PG is tough to beat. Carribean cruises or Mexican riviera in late Nov/early Dec are often very good value, too. Navigator generally is a little less expensive than Mariner for similar cruises.

I love the Mariner. Four restaurants vs. two, and a larger size work well for us. That said, most would vote for the Navigator bathrooms vs. the Mariner (all have separate stall showers and tubs vs. most having tub/shower combinations). There are some bathrooms on Mariner where tubs have been converted to showers. If that's important, make sure your TA checks on those rooms. We haven't sailed Navigator and there are a number of fans who participate in the LCT community.

Mariner has been running a bit slower than normal since late August. It will need to drydock to completely fix the problem. Itineraries were adjusted on the Circle Pacific to account for the slower run rate. Navigator has a vibration that's more pronounced in the rear of the ship. That's not fixable. If that's a consideration, book midship or further forward. Many love suite 601 if you can get it.

Hope that helps, and let us know what you decide. Cheers, Anne

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67116 12/06/06 04:05 AM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We were booked on that 11-day San Francisco to Vancouver one because it has great ports and we loved the price. But we decided to cancel that one and go back to Scotland; two days there weren't enough.

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67117 12/06/06 04:14 AM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Oh gee, that's a tough one. May is frequently our time to cruise as well (although not in 2007), so I understand the dilemma. I have looked at that SF-Alaska cruise in the past, it does look enticing. But beware that it won't be all country-club casual, at least it hasn't been previously.

And with Alaska, it depends where you're from. We live in Canada, and May weather in Alaska can be iffy (I think it's always iffy). Our own weather in May is so glorious, I can't stand the thought of being cold that month. If you're from Florida, your thoughts might be different.

I love the PG, and we have been there in May twice. The Med is lovely then too. East coast/west coast is an issue too--Europe is more of a pain to get to from the west coast, Tahiti easier.

So I guess I'm not helping much, am I? If it was me, I'd choose the Med, simply because I want to get back to that part of the world soonest.

Wendy
------
Booked: Uniworld Egypt, 2015
Tauck Amsterdam to Budapest, 2016
Paul Gauguin, Societies & Tuamotus 2016
Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67118 12/06/06 04:58 AM
KarenS Offline
I love these kind of decisions :)

Here is my two cents. Having done all of the itineraries listed for May, I would choose between the SF to Seward cruise or the Barcelona to Rome on the Voyager.

I wouldn't repeat the PG with hopes of going to Fiji just in case the political unrest is still occurring.

The Barcelona to Rome itinerary will give you a taste of several of the most popular countries while the SF to Seward cruise will give you unforgettable scenery!

If I were forced to choose, I think I would take the 2 for 1 to Alaska. 11 days over 7 for much less money is quite the deal and what you will see on this cruise really is awe inspiring!

Karen

Live long and prosper
Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67119 12/06/06 08:45 AM
E
Early Retiree Offline
cruiser
cruiser
E
Another option is to take the Voyager from Funchal, Madeira on May 8 to Rome (Civitavecchia) on May 21. This is a 13 night cruise. The first part is Funchal to Barcelona and is the second half of TAP. The cruise has ports in Morocco, Spain, France and Italy. It is a great combination, although there are no sea days. Also, the Regent web sight shows that there are no formal nights, which means less luggage.

We are doing this cruise starting with a few days in Funchal.

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67120 12/06/06 01:08 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I tend to agree with Merril, this itinerary looks good if you can live without sea days.

Marcie

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67121 12/06/06 05:39 PM
J
JanR Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
OK guys,

If I read the posts correctly so far, either do Alaska or the Med. Of course there are several Med options.

I love the idea of Funchal to Rome trip. However, as airfare is not included in the first leg (although it is with the second leg of the cruise...not sure how that works), the total bottom-rung price is $2,597 + $5167-5%, and we are modest Army officers, that will probably exceed our budget parameters.

But wow, what a trip that would be. However, the second leg of that trip (Barcelona to Rome) which includes free airfare, that looks awfully appealing.

Wandra, we are looking at Alaska the same way I think you are...would be wonderful if the weather held out, but May might be chancing things too much to fate.

Karen, yup...now that you mention it, Fiji might not be the most stable place to be...even for someone that would have had three turns in Iraq by then. But, gosh...the diving would be fantastic. Is Fred still a DM on the PG?? He was our instructor and it would be fun to dive with him again.

Of course, the Athens to Monte Carlo and Nice to Rome iteneraries look awfully tempting.

By the way, Marcie, we have you directly to blame for the amount of money we are socking away into an account every month. After reading your journal of your round-the-world cruise with RSSC, we started an account to pay for our own round the world trip in 2021 when our youngest graduates from high school.

Please help school us on the best way to sail with Regent in May...we found that our B2B in Tahiti was so incredibly wonderful direclty because of the wonderful advice we were able to gleam from the collective wisdom of LCT.

v/r

Jan

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67122 12/06/06 05:44 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jan: I have taken several cruises I was "iffy" about due to Marcie..we have done Alaska and liked it very much but we like any Regent cruise .. the Med?? - OH YES!!!

Joanna
Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67123 12/06/06 05:53 PM
Pam Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jan, we did Alaska on the Mariner in 2001; the first itinerary she did. It was very early June, and we had absolutely gorgeous weather. You can have bad weather in July or August; Alaska is the luck of the draw. Our outlook is, the ship can be the destination if necessary.

We haven't done any of the Med trips, so I'm limited to an Alaskan report.

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67124 12/06/06 05:57 PM
J
JanR Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
Joanna/Marcie,

If my comments were taken wrong...my apologies.

What I was trying to convey was Marcie's wonderful round-the-world-cruise journal has inspired us to change how we live our lives so that we can do the same when we can finally legally kick our kids out of the house smiles. My comments were meant complimentary in nature...

The Med? Yup, that is shaping up to be our #1 option...unfortunately, in May there seems to be 3-4 wonderful Med options to consider.

help.

v/r

Jan

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67125 12/06/06 06:18 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Jan: I missed it??? comments taken wrong??? I am in the dark??? What is not complimentary... My point was Marcie is a fantastic traveler and I rely on her advice - I loved the Med - I liked Alaska - you will love any Regent cruise - Joanna

Joanna
Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67126 12/06/06 06:27 PM
J
JanR Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
Joanna...now I feel dumb...miss-read your post entirely....ugh.

smiles

All is good.

Yes, the probelm is that we have realized the we will love any Regent cruise. That is a nice problem to have, isn't it????

v/r

Jan

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67127 12/06/06 06:32 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
OH Good - that "all is good" - not to repeat myself BUT - you cannot go wrong with any Regent cruise - and what a great goal for a future WC when the kids are gone - we did two segments 2005 - Sydney to Singapore - wonderful!!!

Joanna
Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67128 12/07/06 06:11 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
JanR, you're very welcome!! I'm glad you enjoyed reading my seamail from the WC. It really is a wonderful experience when the timing is right, as it eventually was when we went. It was always intended to be a once in a lifetime experience but sometimes things work out so now....it's a twice in a lifetime experience!!

Good luck chosing your itinerary. There are so many good options and you probably can't go wrong with any. You can easily make a good case for any of the itineraries you're considering, especially with pricing.

Marcie

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67129 12/07/06 09:12 AM
adrenn Offline
cruiser
cruiser
JanR - Hmmm. Great choices this coming may in Mediterranean cruises.

My pick would be the Funchal-Barcelona on the Navigator. You get an extra day for the same price (if you're willing to go with a window suite) vs. the Voyager. This cruise (and a few of the Voyager) are spotlight cruises. We've been on a few of those and they usually are something extra vs. a non-spotlight cruise. I think this would be more relaxing vs. the other choice (Monte Carlo-Athens).

Equal value is the Monte Carlo to Athens on the Navigator (same price as the Funchal-Barcelona because you get free economy air). It's a meaningful difference in terms of flying time to do the Monte Carlo to Athens choice. We loved seeing both Pompeii and Kusadasi (Ephesus) so that's a big draw you don't get on the other itinerary. We loved this trip, but the port stops take a lot of time & energy. We were very happy but tired after this trip.

How to best enjoy the trip? Many of us have enjoyed wonderful port stops with private guides. Check that section of the chat board for specific referrals. Write ahead to make arrangements.

Whatever you decide on these itineraries, they all sound great. Thank you for your service to our country.

Cheers, Anne

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67130 12/07/06 09:29 AM
anaclaire Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We will be on the May 19th Navigator cruise - Monte Carlo to Athens. Would love for you to join our group. Can always fly into Paris and add a few days there - then train it down to Nice (Monte Carlo). Alaska was wonderful - but we choose this itinerary because of the variety of port calls and the timing. Mid May should be good weather for the Med and hopefully still cool enough. Touring around in the heat is not fun.
I have cruised on both the Voyager and the Mariner and am a bit aprehensive about the Navigator but how could it not be great - it's a Regent cruise - all inclusive. Whatever your decision you can't go wrong. Happy Cruising -- Jan

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67131 12/07/06 11:34 AM
captjohn Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Aloha, Jan
I think you should go for the SF/ Alaska cruise because Christina and I will be on that cruise also.
Just think how wonderful you will feel knowing that you have chosen to cruise with us!!!!
John & Christina

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67132 12/07/06 12:42 PM
Wandra Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Anne, I agree about the Funchal to Barcelona itinerary, it looks fabulous. But it's only 6 nights, so some post-cruise time would be in order, at least for me. If they do a similar itinerary in 2008, I would be seriously interested.

Wendy
------
Booked: Uniworld Egypt, 2015
Tauck Amsterdam to Budapest, 2016
Paul Gauguin, Societies & Tuamotus 2016
Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67133 12/07/06 01:02 PM
coffeecup Offline
cruiser
cruiser
me too, wendy.

Diane

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67134 12/07/06 01:11 PM
adrenn Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wendy -

maybe I misread the website. Voyager is 6 nights; Navigator is 7 nights. H category is the same price for either ship. Voyager has balcony; Navigator has the extra night.

Either way, I'm with you. If time & budget permit, I'd book a few extra days in Barcelona. In addition, I'd love to see Majorca. That's on the Navigator itinerary. The Voyager is more focused on a few stops in Africa. If budget doesn't permit but there's time, I'd take the extra night on the ship. It's a long ride & lots of time zones between the US and Europe.

Give our best to David. Hope you two have a very happy holiday.

Cheers, Anne

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67135 12/07/06 03:10 PM
J
JanR Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
Anne/Anaclaire,

I think I'm starting to lean to the Monte Carlo to Athens trip...not sure about my boss (wife).

However, John has pointed out (correctly, I'm sure) how wonderful we would feel cruising with them out of San Fran... smiles

I'm finding myself reading a post and frantically checking the RSSC website to check the choices.

The price of the Monte Carlo-Athens is just about right...especially with the free air.

How does the Navigator rate among the RSSC fleet? I'm not worried about the vibration that we've read about and my understanding is that it has/will have been refurbished in dry-dock which should take care of some of the issues of showing its age.

However, I'd hate to be "settling" for the Navigator if the Voyager is available in the Med for about the same balcony-rate.

Thoughts?

v/r

Jan

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67136 12/07/06 03:18 PM
J
JanR Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
How does a pre-cruise work in conjunction with the free coach airfare?

If we took Anaclaire's suggestion of a pre-cruise in Paris, would RSSC still extend the free airfare?

The "The Davinci Code" 2-night pre-cruise sounds interesting...not really a Dan Brown fan, but it sounds like a fun way to visit the Louvre and recover from any jet-lag before getting on the ship.

I didn't find any hints at what the costs for RSSC's land programs are? Does anyone have some information/guesses on what a good planning factor would be?

Thanks everyone...starting to get excited.

v/r

Jan

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67137 12/08/06 04:10 AM
adrenn Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Jan - Either is a great choice. As between those two, I'd choose the Mediterranean in a heartbeat (sorry capt. john) because (a) I never get enough of the Med and (b) cold weather in May is just not my thing.

RSSC allows air deviations so long as you aren't changing the embarkation or debarkation cities. It's historically been a $100 per ticket deviation fee; a call to RSSC should give you or your TA current rules and pricing.

RSSC land programs have historically been very expensive vs. making one's own arrangement. It is frustrating RSSC doesn't list the price as part of the website description. Your TA (or you) should be able to call RSSC for that information.

If the idea intrigues you, yet the cost is out of range, Fodor's has a great section on Da Vinci Code tours. A google or yahoo search should turn up a variety of tour ideas and tour providers. Hotel du Louvre was listed at US$545 per night with two tickets to the Louvre and a map of Da Vinci code locations you could tour independently, good through Dec. 31, 2006. One-way fares from Paris to Nice right now are 53 euros apiece. Air transfer costs have to be factored in, too. Cost of a taxi from the Nice airport to the ship in Monte Carlo is on the order of 40 to 50 euros. I hope that gives you a benchmark to evaluate whether or not to book the pre-cruise with RSSC.

An additional resource is to check the sections on private guides and hotels on this website, or of course just ask! We're always happy to virtually cruise with others! :D

Cheers, Anne

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67138 12/09/06 04:00 PM
J
JanR Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
OK, everyone.

Things are getting serious now...

1. I have a thumbs up to take leave in May.
2. We have booking holds on two cruises
--Navigator's Monte Carlo-Athens
--Voyager's Barcelona-Rome
3. We plan to pay our deposit on Monday on one of the two cruises.

and.....we're stuck!!!

Which to decide? This might come down to a coin toss. But then I'll have to decide which cruise is heads and which is tails. Decisions, decisions.

Here is the decision criteria that we are working with:

Price: Both cruise's bottom-rung balcony is exactly the same price (and with the free-airfare, a 30% early-bird discount and 20% Society Member discount for bookings before the end of the year--these are fabulous deals!!!)

Room Size: Voyager: 356ft/50ft
Navigator: 351ft/56ft
Basically, its a matter of whether you want those 50ft on the balcony or in the room...to us, it's a very minor nudge towards the Voyager.

Dining: As we have not sailed either ship, we only can look at the dining options available. The Voyager has 4 restraunts for 700 guests while the Navigator has 2 for 490. In this case, Voyager is the favorite as it potentially offers the most variety and the diner capacity is deduced (maybe inaccurately) to be less dense.

Itinerary: This is the toughest one to balance. If we look at the ports which we have the most interest, it breaks out like this:

Voyager: Sorrento and Rome
Navigator: Sorrento, Rome, and Athens.

However, the Navigator visits Rome on Sunday which precludes the Vatican Museum and the Voyager gives us two days in Sorrento.

We don't know enough about the other ports of call to determine which are the real gems to tip the tails one way or the other.

So...it comes down to this. For the ship, we have a slight lean to the Voyager's cruise. For the iteniary, we have a slight lean to the Navigator's cruise.

HELP!!!!!!

v/r

Jan

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67139 12/09/06 04:50 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I LOVE the Voyager!!!! Cruised 3 times - I toured the Navigator but have not been on it - 2 days in Sorrento?? BLISS - looked at itinerary for both - nudge to the Voyager - I'm partial..forgot, also, been on Mariner 3 times - I love the V!!!!

Joanna
Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67140 12/10/06 02:03 AM
C
ciociara Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Jan

If I were choosing, I would choose the Voyager itinerary.

I like the two days in Sorrento, but more importantly, I like that the cruise ends in Rome and gives you the option of staying in Rome for a few days.

The ship docks at Civitavecchia (which is about an hour and a half from Rome) and one day in Rome is not nearly enough to explore this wonderful city.

By the way, I was on the Navigator to the Baltics in July of this year, and it is a great ship.

Susan

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67141 12/10/06 07:46 AM
C
cruiseluv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Originally posted by JanR:

Price: Both cruise's bottom-rung balcony is exactly the same price (and with the free-airfare, a 30% early-bird discount and 20% Society Member discount for bookings before the end of the year--these are fabulous deals!!!)

Room Size: Voyager: 356ft/50ft
Navigator: 351ft/56ft
Basically, its a matter of whether you want those 50ft on the balcony or in the room...to us, it's a very minor nudge towards the Voyager.
Hi Jan,

Do you know if this 20% Society discount that you refer to applies to any cruise for 2007 as long as it is booked by year end? I had not heard about that!!

Regarding the room size: The size of the rooms in Voyager and Navigator are the same. The balcony is in addition, so you don't get a smaller cabin if you select one with a balcony.

I wish I had your dilemma! I would probably pick the Voyager as I like that it ends in Rome and you can add some days if you can ( it's my favorite city!!). I like both ships a lot but I advice that you don't selct a cabin aft as both ships have vibration problems in that area.

Happy cruising!

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67142 12/10/06 08:17 AM
E
Early Retiree Offline
cruiser
cruiser
E
Jan,
One major factor we always consider is where we want to start and end our cruise if we can spend time at either end. If you can stay a few days after the cruise, Rome is wonderful. Athens is nice but for us it did not offer as much as Rome. Also, Barcelona is a beautiful city for a pre-cruise day or two.

Merril

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67143 12/10/06 08:41 AM
adrenn Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Maria - the 20% discount applies to 2 cruises on the Voyager and 3 on the Navigator. It's on the RSSC website under the "what a fare deal - Europe 2007) special offer.

Jan - It sounds like it's largely coming down to itinerary for you. One minor point: The Voyager cruise is a spotlight on classical music. If that appeals to you, it would be very special.

Merril makes good sense - factor in the pre- and post-cruise possibilities as you evaluate itinerary. Paris, Provence or Athens are the possibilities for pre- or post-cruising with Monte Carlo-Athens. You get the port stops in Kusedasi, Turkey (Ephesus is hands down the best site for ruins we've seen) Naxos, Sicily, (the possibility of seeing Mt. Etna in Sicily is unique; it was erupting so we missed it when we sailed) and Santorini (greek island .. mmmm).

If Barcelona or Rome pre- or post-cruise is preferable, the Voyager itinerary is perfect. Overnight in Sorrento is great. You can do two of (a) Pompeii; (b) Capri; or (c) Amalfi Coast Drive. It's also a cost-effective way to set foot in Corsica.

Cheers, Anne

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67144 12/10/06 10:05 AM
C
cruiseluv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Originally posted by adrenn:
Maria - the 20% discount applies to 2 cruises on the Voyager and 3 on the Navigator. It's on the RSSC website under the "what a fare deal - Europe 2007) special offer.
Thanks Anne,

I was afraid it sounded too good for it to apply to all cruises! :(

Re: Hunt for our Next Cruise #67145 12/10/06 06:22 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
If I had to pick Sorrento, Amalfi or Pompeii - all south of Rome for a precruise, I'd stay in Sorrento and rent a car to go to bith Amalfi and Pompeii and you can take a day trip to Capri from there also. Wonderful places to stay and worthy of a few days easily

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
Bermuda|New Eng/Canada 6/04
PG 5/05
OCEANIA