Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Ngaire, seadog, Jim B, 1 invisible), 684 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
voyager advice #57897 03/28/05 03:44 PM
1stmatetk Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Hello, everybody! Haven't written for awhile, still glowing from our Diamond trip to the Caribbean, but not from the tan ... still bowled over by my guy's romantic proposal on St. Bart's. (and still disappointed by the Eagles Superbowl loss). A little help please... we've been on the Diamond twice, we've been on the Navigator, we're looking at a cruise on the Voyager. Which class H cabin is best?

Terri

Terri
Re: voyager advice #57898 03/28/05 03:48 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
664!!!

We have sailed 21 days in that cabin. Great location, little vibration, and the great Cat H price.

Only other ones I would consider are the last ones (672 and 673 I believe) as they are close to the crew stairs to Horizon Lounge. We used those stairs frequently as a shortcut.

Re: voyager advice #57899 03/28/05 04:29 PM
C
cruiseluv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Hi Terri,

This a very subjective opinion, but I wouldn't go in an H cabin even if it was free. The vibration in cabin 667 kept me awake most of the nights. On the other hand, my husband was not bothered by it that much. If you don't mind feeling "magic fingers" under your bed then you don't have anything to worry about. I think the price differential between G and H cabins is usually not that much.

Re: voyager advice #57900 03/28/05 04:41 PM
Denise Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hi Terri,

We initially booked an H cabin on the Voyager for our Baltics cruise this August. Upon giving it more thought and after weighing some people's less than favorable experiences in H cabin locations, we opted to change to a G cabin. Our reasoning was why chance having any difficulties with vibration, if, indeed, there were any vibrations to be felt? We just didn't want to risk it.

In my opinion, the cost is negligible, when you wish to ensure as smoothe a sailing as possible.

We sailed on the Voyager (G cabin) in 2003. It's a beautiful ship. I hope you are able to sail on the Voyager, as well!

Denise

Retired and loving it!
Re: voyager advice #57901 03/28/05 05:13 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We booked a G cabin for the Atlantic Crossing. They are mid ship and therefore more stable. Some of those have limited views because of the life boats so you will want to stay away from the ones that are too much forward since they are up against the life boats.

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
Bermuda|New Eng/Canada 6/04
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Riviera 2013 Crossing -Istanbul to Miami
Re: voyager advice #57902 03/28/05 06:01 PM
Leejnd Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Hmmm...I have a Cat H guarantee for our upcoming cruise. I've been wondering if that was a mistake...I've heard SO many varying opinions about the vibration issue. With a Cat H guarantee, is it pretty much a sure thing that we'll end up in one of the vibrating cabins?

As far as I can see, the only Cat H cabins are on deck 6, is that correct? (The color coding on the RSSC site is a little hard to make out on my monitor.)

Our cruise is sold out. What do you think is the likelihood we'll get upgraded?

LeeAnne
Re: voyager advice #57903 03/28/05 06:22 PM
C
cruiseluv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Hi LeeAnne,

Yes, the cat H cabins are only on deck six. The vibration is felt( by those who feel it) in the cabins at the back of the ship, not only on Cat. H cabins. But there are many people that are not like me and either don't feel the vibration or it doesn't bother them.

Have you asked your TA if your cabin assignment has been made? You're already past the final payment date so I would have thought the cabin assignment should have been made by now.

Re: voyager advice #57904 03/28/05 08:15 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
LeeAnne,

Our first RSSC cruise was an H guarantee and we ended up in D on the Mariner in 2001. Generally, they do not upgrade.

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
Bermuda|New Eng/Canada 6/04
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Riviera 2013 Crossing -Istanbul to Miami
Re: voyager advice #57905 03/29/05 09:35 AM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I had cabin 664 (same as Marc) and it was just fine. I would take it again in a minute. The one across the hall was equally nice. You really could go next door as well. It is at the end of a corridor. The location is just great. I really like the G mid ship cabins as well.

Re: voyager advice #57906 03/29/05 11:22 AM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
With that H guarantee the "guarantee" is for the price only. They could put you anywhere. I have been assigned to decks 8 and 9 with H guarantees in the past. You may not know where your cabin is until the docs are delivered. If you don't like the cabin, ask if it is possible to change once you get on the ship. This happened to me on the Leg #2, and I got moved to deck 7 mid-ship 2 doors down from Marcie! (And it also was a "full" ship.)

Re: voyager advice #57907 03/29/05 11:58 AM
D
dolebludger Offline
cruiser
cruiser
D
Actually, we found the worst-vibrating suites to be the ones right on the stern. moving forward from there, the vibration tapered off rather quickly to zero in the locations of the laundry rooms. I know, vibration problems can be subjective. But our cat. C horizon suite 784 was like riding a mechanical bull at over 20 knots. So I wakled the halls determining where the vibration stopped. From what I felt, I wouldn't really worry much about Category H.(In fact, we had a cat H guarantee and were upgraded to the C, and I begged them to downgrade us! but the ship was full.)

Thanks,
Richard :) :) :)

"It's five o'clock somewhere."
Re: voyager advice #57908 03/29/05 12:58 PM
Leejnd Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Well, it looks like ALL the Class H cabins are at the stern, so if we get one of those, I guess we'll end up with vibration. I have no idea how much it'll bother us, but if I do get one of the rear cabins, I'll see if they'll move us.

I'm trying to figure out why the classes are what they are, for the standard-size suites. I know it's all about location, but on some decks, cabins in one spot on the ship are a higher class than the cabins in the exact same spot, on the deck just below or above them. Why is that? I suppose I'll figure it out once I'm aboard, but for now, I'm not sure what I should ask for.

So, all the Class C (Horizon) suites are the ones at the very stern, right? They are the same size interior, but have larger balconies. So these would NOT be desireable because of the vibration?

LeeAnne
Re: voyager advice #57909 03/29/05 01:05 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
LeeAnne:

A Category that is midship on one deck will be the same category as aft on the next higher deck. This is really unique to Voyager. Mariner cabins of a certain category (at least D-H) are on a single deck (IIRC).

Re: voyager advice #57910 03/29/05 01:14 PM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
LeeAnne, one thing to note. Let's say they only have a F left and this is more than an H. You will only be charged (if you choose to upgrade) 50% of the difference between the retail price of your cabin for two and the retail price of the cabin to which you move. There is a discount if you upgrade onboard (based on availability).

Based on your captain and the hotel director, accommodations can be made if you have issues with your room. I kiddingly remarked to the captain on the Diamond that the anchor being dropped at early hours directly under my room bothered me. He came over and asked me if I would like my room changed. I was humiliated...said no...He thought I was seriously upset about the anchor. I will never again request a room near an anchor though.

Re: voyager advice #57911 03/29/05 01:19 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I remember Ngaire telling me the same thing as I had thought about upgrading last June if necessary but we got put mid ship on 9 so I was happy - Joanna

Joanna
Re: voyager advice #57912 03/29/05 01:31 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We had an H guarantee on Voyager for the crossing. We ended up with Cat F forward. To me, too far away from everything. If H cabins had actually been available, we would have prefered that to the guarantee. However, the guarantee saved about $700 over the Cat G.

Re: voyager advice #57913 03/29/05 03:33 PM
pkd Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We were in cabin 668 last year on the Voyager. No vibration problem at all. Maybe we're just not sensitive to it, but at least on our Norway cruise vibration was not an issue.

Priscilla
Re: voyager advice #57914 03/29/05 05:00 PM
Leejnd Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I'm not too worried about it...I'm a pretty sound sleeper, especially if I go for my daily run. My mom is a lighter sleeper, so I'm hoping (should we get an aft cabin) that it won't bother her. But I think she's just going to be so thrilled with the whole trip that a little shaking won't bother her too much. :)

I'll tell ya, though, I can't WAIT to see what they gave me! The suspense is killing me. Just the waiting overALL is killing me! AAAUUUGGHH! (My mom keeps sending me emails saying "CAN WE GO NOW???)

LeeAnne
Re: voyager advice #57915 03/30/05 04:08 AM
Colleen Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We spent 17 nights in the last H cabin on the starboard side. We felt vibrations for a few MINUTES at at time only when accelerating and decelerating into and out of ports. It was not a problem at all. Never woke us, never bothered us. And the "magic fingers" never lasted long enough to do any good.

Colleen
Re: voyager advice #57916 03/30/05 06:35 AM
D
dolebludger Offline
cruiser
cruiser
D
LeeAnne and all:

Vibration problems on a ship are very difficult to discuss in print, just as are matters of color, for example. Being mechanical objects, all ships pick up an occasional stray vibration here and there, and this is something that we all come to accept. Then, all ships and suites therein almost always have a very small, almost imperceptible degree of vibration. In fact, many never notice any of it. Vibration becomes a problem only when it is persistant and rather severe. It WAS this way on our April '04 Panama Canal cruise in stern suite 784 on the Voyager WHEN (as was usual on that cruise) the ship was making over 20 knots.

There have been many posts from guests in the Voyager stern suites on other cruises who have said they had no vibration at all. My theory is that these accounts are truthful, and are a result of the ship having cruised under 20 knots on their cruise.

Again, on our cruise when the vibration was at its worst, I walked the halls in the stern portion of the Voyager to see where the vibration started and stopped. Other than the vibration, we loved the ship, and intend to cruise her again. I found the vibration totally gone by the time I reached the area of the laundry rooms.

All I can say is that if I cruise this ship again and if I book cat. H (probably will), I will try to book suite 654 or 663, as the most forward of all the cat. H suites. If you look at the deck plan, you will see that these suites are almost up to the laundry room area. From my experience, I would expect them to have little vibration, if any.

Hope this helps,

Re: voyager advice #57917 03/30/05 07:17 AM
Betty K Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We were in 654 on the Voyager. I loved the location, and we felt little or no vibration. We cruised the Western Carib., and it's possible that we never got over 20 knots, I don't know. Anyway, I would book that cabin again, in a heartbeat!

Betty
cheer

Betty

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]
Re: voyager advice #57918 03/30/05 07:29 AM
S
sandracruiser Offline
cruiser
cruiser
S
We had cabin 645 on the first segment of the wc, it was GREAT , we also had (I think) cabin 935 thru the panama canal, no problems there either...We love the Voyager :) :) :)

Sandy
Re: voyager advice #57919 03/30/05 10:40 AM
D
dolebludger Offline
cruiser
cruiser
D
Sandy:

Suites 645 and 935 are well forward of the laundry room locations. Even on our rather "rocky" cruise (when directly on the stern) the locations of those suites were smooth as silk. Indeed, I've never seen a post complaining of vibration on any Voyager suite forward of the laundry rooms. And, it seems that the suites DIRECTLY over the stern are the most impacted, with things getting much better just a few suites to the front.

(Ignore the following if you have read it before.)

The vibration comes from the propulsion pods. The pods have been a problem since a minor colision when the ship was month's old. So the vibration comes from the pods and is felt mainly right above the pods. As the pods are mounted to the ship's frame using "shock absorber" type devices, the vibration does not go far from the part of the frame right above them. A look at the ship's diagram will show that the suites right on the stern are "at risk". If the pods vibrate due to speed or other conditions, the stern suites WILL be impacted. Then, the question here (and in so many other threads before it) is how far forward of the stern cabins do we need to book to be ABSOLUTELY sure of avoiding a vibration problem? The best answer I could determine by inspection while onboard is book forward of the laundry rooms on each deck. But that would eliminate all Cat. H suites. But, my inspection showed that the area of the Category H cabins should get little if any vibration --- especially the forward most ones. To me, that is an acceptable risk, given the Cat. H price advantage.

I found all areas of this ship forward of the laundry room areas to be totally vibration free --- unusually so.

Thanks,

Re: voyager advice #57920 03/30/05 11:50 AM
Denise Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Good hearing that 645 is a good cabin. We're booked in that cabin for our Baltics cruise in August.

Denise

Retired and loving it!
Re: voyager advice #57921 04/02/05 03:38 AM
Macy Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I always like a cabin near the back elevator.Macy

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers