Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Davefr, Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, DennisK, Jim B), 1,031 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47375 01/31/05 09:49 AM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Cyndi, I will try to give you my perceptions on some of the tours.

We enjoyed doing the waverunner in the afternoon on both of our trips and did the Lagoonarium in the am in week 1 of our back to back and the shark and ray feeding on the other week.

I don't think it makes a difference am or pm for the waverunner. However, I think being with the animals in the am is better. I personally preferred the shark and ray feeding to the Lagoonarium. I liked the Lagoonarium a lot, so this is just comparative. The pros of the Lagoonarium are to be able to see a lot of fish in a controlled setting. You can swim from area to area holding onto the sides in a combination of large tanks. So, it is a "pool" experience. You can get out and sit and then go back in.

The shark and ray experience is unique. It is exhilerating to stand or swim among these fish and a learning experience as well. You stand on a sand bar, so it is a comfortable experience in the open sea. I preferred the less controlled environment and the ocean was just beautiful in this area.

Marc, Yes, you are pushing it with 4. Let's say you spend 1/2 day on the motu on one day. You have 3 other excursions to enjoy over the three days. You could do the helicopter very early in the morning to enable you to fit it in on the day you do the motu.

The water in French Polynesia is so gorgeous, if I had to choose a controlled pool experience or to be out snorkling in the ocean, I would choose the latter. The snorkling tours were fantastic. The moto snorkling on your own was just so-so.

Bring bug spray for the motus. I remember getting bitten up by gnats. You will also need water shoes and loads of suntan lotion. Try the delicious shandys (beer and lemonade).

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47376 01/31/05 10:09 AM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Andi,

Such great advice. Thank you, thank you. After hearing your input on the Lagoonarium and Sharks & Rays, I really think we will choose the Sharks & Rays. My hope is that we will have enough snorkeling on pre-cruise at HBB to see as many fish as possible without needing the controlled environment. But sharks & rays won't be as common (I think).

So maybe on the 1st day we could do the motu when we 1st get there and then the waverunner in afternoon. Then on next, full day, we could do the Sharks & Rays in the am and maybe just relax in the afternoon. We probably won't need any kind of tour of the island as we'll be there on our pre-cruise for 3 days. Yeah!!! I think I've now worked it out (with everyone's help) at least all except Moorea. I'll move on to that now.

Wendy, I envy YOU with the B2B!!!! If only we could have it all. But then we'll both have things to look forward to for the next time. I also envy you, Andi for already having done the B2B :)

Cyndi
5/21/05 PIP Tahiti - Paul Gauguin
9/18/04 Vancouver to LA - Island Princess
10/9/02 Aust/NZ - Radisson Navigator
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47377 01/31/05 10:21 AM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I remember now that I really want to do the Dophin Watching Expedition on Moorea. It starts at 1:00. We appear to arrive on 1st day at noon. I guess we could still make it by 1:00. Or we could do it the 2nd day. If we did that, maybe we could do the helicopter on the 1st day. Any other "must do's" I should consider for Moorea? (Besides pearl shopping :) )

Cyndi
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47378 01/31/05 11:47 AM
Wandra Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Cyndi, you have to go up to the viewpoint at the Belvedere, at least I think that's a "must do" on Moorea. It's ravishingly beautiful. All the land-tours on Moorea take you there.

Keep this in mind for sure, "you can't do it all". The time is short at each of the locations. And for you, having the pre-cruise, you want to leave some latitude, because you may decide to do an excursion or two on Bora Bora before the cruise!

I have heard that the helicopter ride on Bora Bora is more spectacular. I can believe this--the island has an interesting shape, and the lagoon is very large.

I really loved the Dr. Poole excursion. I learned alot, and we saw lots of spinner dolphins. Others have not been so lucky. He also comes on board ship, I believe, to give a lecture. I haven't eaten yellowfin canned tuna since.

Wendy
------
Booked: Uniworld Egypt, 2015
Tauck Amsterdam to Budapest, 2016
Paul Gauguin, Societies & Tuamotus 2016
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47379 01/31/05 12:54 PM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I also heard great things about the dolphin tour. The folks, who took the tour, said that they can never participate in one of the controlled "swim with the dolphins" after that experience as they learned it is too inhumane.

On one of the islands, See and Sea was a tour. It included jeep rides up to the top of the island (Belvedere?) and then a boat trip and snorkling trip. The snorkling was unbelievable - More fish than at the lagoonarium. People on our first week raved about it. The waverunner is fun there as well, if you want to do two tours. You get to kiss the rays. It is so cute..you pull up on the wave runner and the rays come up to see you, like puppies.

Cyndi, I envy you. It was two years ago for me. I have my memories and you will have the experience. Have a spectacular time. It's hard not to have a great time.

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47380 01/31/05 01:51 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
So many great FP excursions to choose from! I'd have to say our favorite (and most unique) was the lagoonarium in Bora Bora. I doubt if you could go wrong with any of the choices.

We didn't do the dolphin watch but since you're out on a boat getting to the Lagoonarium or the shark & stingray feeding (we did both) you will see the dolphins if they're out there. Paul went on the dolphin watch but didn't see any dolphins on that particular day!

Marcie

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47381 01/31/05 02:36 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Too many choices!

With the two snorkeling excursions in Bora Bora, if we have to choose just one, will probably be the easier one. I prefer shallow water snorkeling. Still would be nice to fit in both snorkeling excursions; after all, the helo and waverunners are both short.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47382 01/31/05 03:18 PM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
The waverunner wasn't short. We all had to assemble and be driven to the place to get our waverunners. Then we were fitted out and shown how to use them. Then the ride was really long and fun and we stopped to swim on a sandbar. Then we went some more and we stopped again for fresh bananas with shaved coconuts. Then we went riding again and went back to the place we started and switched back to the van to be brought back to the ship. We then had to wait to be brought to the ship at the pier. We didn't seem to have any time left over. The waverunner in Moorea had some time left to shop at the resort and was shorter than the Bora Bora excursion.

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47383 01/31/05 03:23 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks Andi. We may have to shorten our list of planned excursions. Waverunner and helo one day and one snorkeling excursion and motu the other.

thanks,

Edited to add:

I just checked schedule for an earlier sailing. Looks great for doing helo (1 hour) and wave runner (2.5 hours) first day, just that shark feeding and lagoonarium are both scheduled for am of second day. May have to choose one of those two and spend rest of time at motu. Oh, life's tough decisions. :D

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47384 01/31/05 04:49 PM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I bet you could do Lagoonarium on your own with a taxi. It is a water park/museum. Perhaps rent a taxi and go on your own? I think this would be doable.

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47385 01/31/05 06:00 PM
Wandra Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Well Marc, I didn't do the Lagoonarium, but it's probably pretty controlled and easy, and "walkable". The shark and ray feeding was easy too, snorkelling-wise. Most of it was shallow enough to stand. I ventured off to see some great clumps of coral with lots of fish, it was very calm and may have been over my head, but not by much--the boat was nearby, and there was no undertow or current. Easier even than the motu snorkelling, where there, you have to be a little cautious with the current, also no sea urchins. The snorkelling part was lovely--since I'm usually solo, I have be a bit cautious, despite the fact that I'm completely comfortable in the water.

Wendy
------
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47386 01/31/05 08:05 PM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wandra is correct. It is like going to a pool. It is rather deep, but you climb down stairs and can hold onto the edges. It is walkable.

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47387 02/01/05 05:33 AM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wendy & Andi,

In looking thru this entire thread once more, I see you both had already answered some of my questions. Forgive me, it's hard to keep track sometimes. And thanks for taking the time to tell me again :)

I see there is an Island Drive and Belvedere #MOO1794 on Moorea. But, Ngaire does not recommend this as the A/C in bus is not good and they drop you off to shop in a tiny place with nothing to buy. She does recommend renting a car and touring the island yourself, including Belvedere. Maybe we could do that.

Marc, isn't it so hard to choose? So many things we want to do and not enough time. B2B is sounding better all the time!!!

Andi, I don't see a "See and Sea" tour mentioned. Does it go by another name sometimes? Maybe they aren't offering it anymore.

You both are making the Dr. Poole excursion sound really, really good!.

Marcie, thanks for your input too. Was Paul very disappointed that he didn't see the dolphins on his excursion? I guess it's the luck of the draw sometimes.

Wendy, I have heard that the helicopter ride on Bora Bora is more spectacular than Moorea. But I've also heard that if you get on the correct side of the inter-island plane on the ride to Bora Bora for pre-cruise, you can get a fantastic view. And that will already be paid for. What do you think?

At HBB I've read that each night a couple of huge Manta Rays come to the boat dock by the OWB's. I can't remember if people feed them, but here is a picture I ran across of one of the guests with the ray:

http://www.kathyandandrew.com/media/honeymoon/hotelborabora/IMG_1391.jpg

Cyndi
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47388 02/01/05 06:26 AM
Wandra Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Cyndi, we did the Island Drive and Belvedere first time, in 2000. I think it depends on the tour provider how it works. We had a small modern bus, with very good a/c. And a fairly entertaining commentator. And we got dropped at a place with some decent stores. But we also spent alot of time at the island distillery (all the tours stop there), so I thought the tour was pretty commercial and mostly oriented towards getting us to buy stuff. Any type of land tour seems to include: the distillery; the Belvedere; the main marae. Most of them include: a trip to the agricultural research station; some kind of shopping.

I agree that renting a car would be good--I think we will do that one week or other, or maybe a motorcycle if we can find one--my husband would love that, he's a real enthusiast, and a very good driver. I've heard that renting scooters is too dangerous, and the road up to the Belveder e is fairly steep, I remember.

As for helicopters, sounds like your flight into BB has that covered. I'm too cheap to pay that kind of money for a 15 minute or so helicopter ride.

Again, we really loved the 4x4 on Moorea. But no shopping included.

Wendy
------
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47389 02/01/05 10:46 AM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wendy - you are right about it depending on the tour provider and commentator. That even happens on the tram at San Diego Zoo. Some guides are great - others, blah!!! I'm still thinking about the Island Drive & Belvedere. Being that it will be at the end of the trip and us old folks will be tired, we may just enjoy going on an excursion with not too much excitement, yet beautiful views. I may just veg out on the ride - Ha!!

I have also heard that the scooters are dangerous. I know the 4x4 would be a great scenic tour, but I just know I'd be a big chicken on those steep, rough roads. And no shopping, not a plus :D

I just copied a calendar page for May to jot down the excursions we are interested in. It helps me to see it on a calendar so we don't overextend and can plan times, etc.

Cyndi
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47390 02/01/05 11:04 AM
Wandra Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
I hear you, Cyndi. But you sure don't look like old folks to me! Funny how none of us mention our ages ;)

Wendy
------
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47391 02/01/05 11:17 AM
Wandra Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
I'm looking at Raiatea, and see this:

Clear Kayak Safari to Motu Ofetaro

This sounds pretty cool.

Wendy
------
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47392 02/01/05 11:37 AM
C
cwc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
I just saw this in RSSC website for Bora Bora:

Waverunner & ATV Action-packed Adventure

Any body done it before?

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47393 02/01/05 12:24 PM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I am sorry to hear that the See and Sea isn't offered. It was a 4X4 ride to the Belvedere and a snorkling trip with huge moray eels and wonderful fish of all kinds.

The waverunner and ATV sounds like fun. It wasn't offered 2 years ago. I'm sure they are constantly improving the tours. All I can say is I was never disappointed in any tour I took over the 2 week trip. I know the choices are hard. I was glad for a back to back for that reason.

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47394 02/01/05 12:34 PM
C
cwc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
C
Yes the waverunner/ATV is new this year (I think). Just wondering how much it will be, since the waverunner alone is 200$ already.

Also, the web said only avalible for 4 people at a time (VERY limited).

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47395 02/01/05 02:45 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Waverunner and ATV is $395 per couple (share wave runner and share ATV).

If you want to see prices, all you have to do is select a sailing within 60 days and time of day (am or pm) and price are included.

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47396 02/01/05 05:44 PM
Wandra Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Wow, that's way over my head. And ATVs are another one of my private hates, along with jetskis and their ilk. Oh well, have to content myself with the BB motu or shark feeding!

Wendy
------
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47397 02/01/05 07:31 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
What's the difference in a Jet Ski and a Wave runner? I just got told that I have a disk problem and I have to be somewhat careful to not have any trauma to my neck, so I am thinking that I will not be able to do the waverunner?

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
Bermuda|New Eng/Canada 6/04
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Riviera 2013 Crossing -Istanbul to Miami
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47398 02/01/05 11:16 PM
Masaki Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Technically, they're the same thing - just different companies.

Kawasaki Jet Ski
Yamaha Wave Runner

Masaki

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47399 02/02/05 05:31 AM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Kathy, I was wondering the difference too. Thanks for clearing that up Masaki.

The excursion info does warn about people with bad necks and backs. Tom has back problems on and off. I'm getting concerned about him. Are the waverunners really that bad if you take it easy on the speed?

Cyndi
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47400 02/02/05 07:05 AM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
The group tour leaders tend to go very fast on the wave runners. There were significant bumps. That's what makes it "fun." So, unless you are doing this privately or with another couple with the same restrictions, you are not guaranteed of a slow ride.

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47401 02/02/05 08:58 AM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Cyndi,

Well then Tom can hang out with Frank (who is very conservative about this stuff) and me (who is not, but has to be careful - sniff).

I think I will go thru the whole 90 pages in the next few weeks and make our more sedate selections.

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47402 02/02/05 10:19 AM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Don't stress over the excursions. We have found RSSC to be great about last minute sign ups and have never had a problem getting on a tour -- even at the last minute.

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47403 02/03/05 05:38 AM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Kathy, well if Tom doesn't go, I sure won't. I'm the chicken in the family. :D

90 pages? No wonder this is all so confusing :)

Andi, thanks for giving the info on the speed of the waverunners. I was afraid of that (literally - LOL ). I'll talk to Tom and see what he thinks he should do. Glad to hear we may still have a chance to change our minds about some of the excursions once we get there.

Cyndi
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47404 02/03/05 06:05 AM
Wandra Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Yeh Cyndi, keep in mind that it's only lately that you could even book them in advance! This on-line booking capability is bound to change things a little, but I'm betting that most won't bother. That's just a feeling I have, not sure if it's true.

I remember stressing about booking the Dr. Poole Dolphin trip, because that was something that notoriously sold out, and I really wanted to do it. So, if there's anything that you have your heart set on, by all means pre-book, but the rest can wait, I figure. Of course, you can always cancel the bookings once you are on board, so I guess it doesn't hurt to pick some in advance.

Wendy
------
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47405 02/03/05 07:21 AM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wendy, I wonder if there will be any bugs in booking on-line. Yes, the Dr. Poole trip is one I'll book 3/22/05 (I think that is the 1st date we can do it for PIP).

Wes, you are within 60 days of your PG cruise,( :) ) have you tried booking on-line yet?

Cyndi
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47406 02/03/05 08:10 AM
ColonelWes Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Cyndi, no, we're going to wait until we board...just kidding; yes, did that back on 4 Jan..booked six dives with the PG and four with outside operators, wave runner, parasailing for Ida, Bora 4x4, Dolphin Watching, River & Island Tour, Shark & Ray feeding, Lagoonarium, NBP farm adventure, ..one day week #2, just for car rental on Moorea with Hans and Kim (LCT Members on the 12 March sailing)...r/wes

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47407 02/03/05 08:23 AM
Wandra Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Wow, Wes, you're going to be busy!

I'm thinking about a car rental as well on Moorea. Did you do a booking using one of those discount coupons?

Wendy
------
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47408 02/03/05 08:27 AM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Yeah, Wes!!! I knew I could count on you. We'll be waiting with baited breath to hear all about these excursions to help us make up our minds :) Of course, we won't mind hearing ALL about the PG too!!!! I sure wish you & Ida were going on PIP with us, but I guess it's too much to ask you to wait till then :D :D

Cyndi
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47409 02/03/05 08:28 AM
ColonelWes Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wendy, was going to use Europacar (sp?) but on
CC they say there no longer in biz on Moorea..Albert's gets good reviews..and our T/A
Susan of B&K said you can easily book one right off the dock...r/wes

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47410 02/03/05 08:30 AM
ColonelWes Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Cyndi, thanx for asking, when we booked last June, I was unaware of LCT--so did not know about PIP..but I will take lots of photos and
post either during or after our trip..r/wes

Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47411 02/03/05 08:33 AM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We'll hold you to that, Wes!!!

Cyndi
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47412 02/03/05 09:36 AM
Wandra Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Hey Wes, yes, Albert's is pretty popular. And I remember them being there at the dock at Cook's Bay last time. So that's what we'll do too--that way we don't have to plan it in advance!

Wendy
------
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47413 02/03/05 02:05 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We booked on line for our New England Itinerary last year on Navigator and we Faxed our request for Bermuda - it was an experiment. For Bermuda they claimed it was not received but we got on all tours anyway and for New England our tickets appeared on our door when we were unpacking. Very smooth. So other than the photo tour and maybe the Lagoonarium or any snorkling trips for the out of shape swimmers where I can touch bottom would be perfect. A car rental or 4x4 trip is good too.

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Re: Pip Paul Gauguin Excursions #47414 02/03/05 05:10 PM
Cyndi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Kathy, Glad to hear the on-line worked really good. Just a note - the 4X4 excursions also warn about neck and back problems. :(

Cyndi
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers