Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Ralph W.), 613 guests
Newest Members
Obiliro, ConnorWood, DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD(41383 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Problems in Morocco #31054 04/20/07 01:35 AM
ITravelNow Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire...will the Navigator be able to dock in Seville?

We once cruised there aboard one of the small Seabourn ships and went up river through locks and actually docked very near the center of the city. It was wonderful to be so close and also delightful cruising through the countryside to arrive there.

I know larger ships would be unable to do this - not sure about the Navigator.

Margo
Re: Problems in Morocco #31055 04/20/07 01:48 AM
F
FandW Offline
cruiser
cruiser
F
We would be happy to miss both Agadir and Casablanca if there is the slightest doubt about safety.
Margo is right we did live in Gibraltar for 3 years and found it a fascinating place, we would be thrilled to go back for a visit! We picked a port side suite so that we could wave to the old place as we cruised by! Maybe now we will stop there.

Frank and Wendy
Re: Problems in Morocco #31056 04/20/07 04:10 AM
Ngaire Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Well that was silly of me Margo --- Cadiz is where the Navigator goes. That access to smaller ports is one of the great things about a smaller ship. I was just thinking of the visit to Seville from docking in Cadiz.

Actually I am with you Sedona. Threats are everywhere. However, it is all perception. Things hit the press and everyone panics. so a cruise line has to make these decisions to not go where there is a perceived threat.

Barcelona right after the Iraq war started. CNN had news reports of riots in the streets, strong anti American sentiment and showed pictures of these incidents. We were docking the next day. Well Ken and I saw this, bought into it and nearly stayed on the ship, we had been there before. However, in the end we got off the ship. We walked the city, took the hop a bus all over that city and saw one thing. A teenager with a anti Bush tee shirt. That was it. I have seen that in Dallas. That night on CNN same type of news report. Somewhere in that massive city there was a demonstration.

The media has to show these things because that IS the news. They did happen but the threat is usually no where near as bad as WE perceive it to be from the news reports.

I have spoken to Europeans who said they would never come to America. It is too dangerous there everyone is allowed to own a gun. I guess they have a perception of us all running around with our guns like the western movies.

We are all in more danger from a car accident at home than we are from any terriorist action whether travelling or at home. We just accept that risk as part of every day life. In fact I know from my perspective this is very true. I have to go to work on the Dallas Tollway every day with KEN at the wheel. Now that is scary!!

However, the reality is that if people do not feel safe visiting a place with these news reports then I understand that completely. Why take an unnecessary risk - there are enough risks in daily life why add to them. Totally logical thought and probably far more prevelant than the "when it is my time it is my time" point of view.

Nonetheless it is probably no Casablanca and roll on Cadiz and Seville, or Gibraltar or whatever takes the place of the ports on the schedule and we will enjoy them and visit Casablanca another day when there are threats in Cadiz.

Re: Problems in Morocco #31057 04/20/07 04:58 AM
FFMilesJunkie Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Generally, I agree with what Ngaire says. So many times these situations are grossly exagerated in the press. Plus, these terrorist's activities are meant to affect tourism and I hate to see their tactics be sucessful.
However this situation is a little different since apparently there was some evidence uncovered that cruise ships docked in Casablanca were targets. I would expect Regent to take these threats seriously.

http://www.stratfor.com/products/premium/read_article.php?id=286693&selected=Analyses

Quote from article:
The Interior Ministry has said the plot involved attacks against resorts in Agadir, Marrakech and Essaouira, as well as against cruise ships docking in Casablanca -- and these indeed all have merit as potential jihadist targets. As one of Morocco's most popular tourist destinations, Marrakech is loaded with establishments that cater to foreigners. Agadir, which is included in many European package tours, is a coastal resort town known for its beach and Western-style nightlife, while Essaouira also is a popular destination for tourists from both Western and Eastern Europe. Also, more than a dozen U.S. and European cruise lines have port calls in Casablanca.

John aka FFMilesJunkie
www.worldflyer.net
Our Photo Gallery

Aug 9, 2006 Dover to Monte Carlo on the Navigator.
April 30, 2007 "TAP" Spring Crossing on Voyager
Sept 2008 ROAR II
Re: Problems in Morocco #31058 04/20/07 05:16 AM
sedona Offline
cruiser
cruiser
When I lived in Europe from 2002-2005, some of my friends' families declined to visit due to fear of their safety and this was Switzerland!

I never felt unsafe in Europe...you just go on with your life and don't think about it.

I have had similar thoughts about visiting Israel and have not done so because of safety reasons. However, those who have visited or lived there, say that my perceptions are also false. So, we all fall into this fear based mentality. And, that is what terrorists hope for and why they are successful.

THink about Turkey. How many times was Turkey cancelled from cruiselines' itineraries? When we were in Turkey, I never felt unsafe.

So, I try not to overanalyze and go with the flow. As far as a cruiseline, they have to watch out for their investments and would not send us somewhere that is unsafe. If they keep a port, I feel that we are as safe as can be predicted.

It is sad that these nuts are everywhere today. I even have friends now, with college age children, who are afraid of copycat episodes at other universities. They are terrified with their children being away from home and in the university environment. How sad that this is what the world has become.

Re: Problems in Morocco #31059 04/20/07 12:54 PM
J
jim in Cleveland Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
THIS JUST IN FROM MY TA, THE QUOTED MATERIAL WAS DIRECTLY FROM RSSC:

"The information the cruise line has received is that they caught the person was responsible for the terrorist attacks, therefore only have cancelled Casablanca as a port the current cruise on April 24th, but not your sailing on May 8th. Susan also said they are monitoring the situation and if it changes they will advise all the guests in advance. Wish I had different news to share with you." -- again, this was a quote from RSSC.

I still guess NO WAY.

Jim

Re: Problems in Morocco #31060 04/20/07 01:27 PM
Ngaire Offline
cruiser
cruiser
This assumes there is but ONE lone terrorist making these threats. Now they have caught him no more worries?. Once again it is perception.

What will be will be. Personally as long as they have my rack of lamb and dover sole and all my LCT friends to share that with I do not mind where we go!

Re: Problems in Morocco #31061 04/20/07 01:39 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire, that's the way I feel, too, que sera sera! I guess I was just in a haze about how they might re-direct our itinerary, since we are heading south from Funchal to Lanzarote, and are working our way back up the coast via Agadir. Different from the Navigator. I haven't a clue about the distances between ports in that area. I am confident Regent will plan something nice if there is a change. I'm easy.

Re: Problems in Morocco #31062 04/20/07 01:52 PM
pkd Offline
cruiser
cruiser
My sentiments exactly, Olivia and Ngaire! You TAPers will have a great time no matter what, and time will tell whether Regent takes you to Casablanca. For we CROSSers, it's way too far in advance. Wherever we go, I will be a happy cruiser!

Priscilla
Re: Problems in Morocco #31063 04/20/07 02:34 PM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Right, Priscilla, there is no bad cruise! After all, people take them to "nowhere" all the time! I'm sure that Regent will consider that we will want to put our feet on terra firma after 8 days at sea. Wherever that will be is fine with me if they think I am safe!

Re: Problems in Morocco #31064 04/20/07 08:01 PM
ChatKat... Offline
cruiser
cruiser
They have millions of dollars at stake when they take us places. They aren't going to jeopardize the passengers safety not risk their investment in their ships, brand, or crew either. It would be difficult for them to answer any questions if they erred on the side of taking a risk.

I also think they make decisions like that as a group through CLIA and through information from the US State Dept.

VOYAGER:
MC to FLL 11/07
MC/Dover 6/06
MARINER:
BCN / Ven 10/11
Alaska 2001|2006
Panama Canal 2003
NAV
Caribbean 11/06
Bermuda|New Eng/Canada 6/04
PG 5/05
OCEANIA
Nautica |Ist/Athens 6/07
Regatta|Baltics 6/08
Riviera 2013 Crossing -Istanbul to Miami
Re: Problems in Morocco #31065 04/21/07 02:17 AM
P
pincus Offline
cruiser
cruiser
P
Absolutely agree with ChatKat's succinct and well-said first paragraph.

Has anyone heard whether or not the U.S. Consulate has re-opened? Seems that information would be crucial to any decision about taking a ship to Morocco.

Pincus

Re: Problems in Morocco #31066 04/21/07 04:42 AM
Denise Offline
cruiser
cruiser

Denise

Retired and loving it!
Re: Problems in Morocco #31067 04/21/07 05:47 AM
P
pincus Offline
cruiser
cruiser
P
Thanks, Denise.

This link led me to the embassy site. A crawl is running on it indicating that the Consulate is still closed to the public.

Pincus

Re: Problems in Morocco #31068 04/26/07 07:59 AM
Yallcruise Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Any updates from Regent on our visit to Morocco?

Carolyn

Re: Problems in Morocco #31069 04/26/07 09:25 AM
FFMilesJunkie Offline
cruiser
cruiser
The Moroccan government claims that they have made considerable progress dismantling the organization that was responsible for the bombings. They have made over 50 arrests and are agressively pursuing the investigation.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/04/26/africa/AF-GEN-Morocco-Terrorism.php

RSSC still has Morocco on the schedule for next week's cruise based on the progress they are making; of course that could all change if further incidents occur or if any speicific threats are uncovered.

John aka FFMilesJunkie
www.worldflyer.net
Our Photo Gallery

Aug 9, 2006 Dover to Monte Carlo on the Navigator.
April 30, 2007 "TAP" Spring Crossing on Voyager
Sept 2008 ROAR II
Re: Problems in Morocco #31070 04/29/07 11:22 AM
J
jim in Cleveland Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
J
and as of yesterday (Saturday) Morocco is still on the itinerary for two stops week after next

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers