Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ngaire, 1 invisible), 853 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Roo Excursions #249785 03/21/18 12:41 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Excursions open 18 April so I went to website today. When I clicked on link to get all excursions emailed, all that was included in file was Diamond/Commodore info on free choice excursion and New Year's Eve dinner/party description; no actual excursions. Stepping through the itinerary, there are actually four ports wherein there are no included excursions at all; either free or paid: Mooloolaba, Airlie Beach, Broome, and Portland. Will be interesting to see choice and availability in the remaining ports; an expensive cruise if there is limited value in FUSE.

Will keep checking on website to see when all the excursions are available.

Marc

Re: Roo Excursions [Re: Marc] #249786 03/21/18 02:19 AM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
As the website says, there isn't sufficient tourist infrastructure to cater to 700 guests and too many would be really ticked off if only tours for 100 people were available and they didn't make the list. There is plenty to do in those ports on your own just walking around. For instance, in Broome take a camel ride on the beach, buy the large champagne colored Australian pearls farmed there and enjoy a great pub lunch. It's always fun interacting with local Aussies in those small towns. I'm really looking forward to those 4 towns and hope it doesn't rain.
Jim

Re: Roo Excursions [Re: jbittle] #249787 03/21/18 02:26 AM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Jim, can I add you and Pat to the Roll Call?

Re: Roo Excursions [Re: Marc] #249788 03/21/18 03:18 PM
Ngaire Online
cruiser
cruiser
One of my most memorable days was THURSDAY ISLAND. A tiny island that was important as it was the military base for US and Australian troops in the Torres strait area during the second world war.
Torres Strait is the sea between New Guinea and Australia.

One tiny street that we walked and people lined up to use the the one old fashioned phone booth as there had been a hurricane in Florida. This was a long time ago when the ship did not have the phone service onboard we enjoy today. One of the shopkeepers came along and said "please use my phone to call home, I don't mind, its on me mate" So nice, the people were great.

Then we decided to hire the only taxi and see the sights. We saw the dump, the rugby field and the hospital. Our local driver was very proud of these new developments in the town. The locals. just as Jim said, were great. Fair Dinkum Aussies so much fun they wanted to talk to us and very happy to have us in town. The fact few ships stop in these remote spots makes our visit special. That little island turned me into loving tiny remote places rather than big cities. Kind of like the island of Iona off Scotland, 177 inhabitants. We were on the Song of Flower, never forgotten that place and going back there on the Silver Cloud in May, 2019.

Started my whole appreciation of expedition cruising to remote hamlets. Being somewhere so remote, seeing how the people live has a beauty all of its own. There is very little on that West side of Australia but that is the appeal for many - in star trek words "to go where few tourists have gone before" It will be a different experience than all buses lined up on the dock but that is really what it is all about. I bet we have a great time on the remote side of Australia. I will not be buying one of the Broome Pearls very expensive but always wanted to go to Broome.

Re: Roo Excursions [Re: Ngaire] #249789 03/21/18 04:12 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Totally understand lack of infrastructure in the smaller ports; just waiting to see what will be available in remaining ports. On Kangaroo Regent didn't even have an excursion to Great Barrier Reef; one was added after cruise started.

This is going to be a fantastic trip; still lots of availability if others want to be added to roll call.

Marc

Re: Roo Excursions [Re: Marc] #249790 03/22/18 01:46 AM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
You can add us Marc. Our suite is GTY.

Re: Roo Excursions [Re: Marc] #249795 03/24/18 03:09 AM
jbittle Offline
cruiser
cruiser
In Esperance the Cape Le Grande National Park excursion is excellent. We did it last month and really enjoyed it. You visit Hellfire Beach, Lucky Bay, Frenchman's Peak and Stonehenge. Lots of fun.

Re: Roo Excursions [Re: jbittle] #249999 04/19/18 04:27 PM
Marc Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Excursions booked; still no tours listed for two days in New Guinea or second day in Bali but happy with rest of choices.

Keene Luxury Travel Offers