LCT

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155   |   972-701-9292

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (S&K), 68 guests
Newest Members
JaxTailor, Keene, Nancy_G, Bisol, SanDen(41311 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#248276 - 05/20/17 07:34 PM Regent airfare with stopovers enroute?  
Joanandjoe Offline
cruiser
Joanandjoe  Offline
cruiser

Teaneck, NJ
We've never been to any places move than about a 10 hour flight from New Jersey, because we can't sleep on planes (even in business class), and find the flights too daunting. A horrible flight home from Rio after a Regent cruise only reinforced this problem. This difficulty with long flights has ruled our Regent cruises and KLT safaris to places such as the Pacific Rim, India, sub-Saharan Africa, Antarctica, Argentina/Chile, Galapagos, and other faraway places. We found that flying to Hawaii was a bit beyond our comfort limit. Nonetheless, we'd love to go on trips such as BATIK or HIPPO. Even more so, we'd like to visit cruising friends who live in Brisbane; but Australia is so far away from home!

Does anyone have any suggestions? For example, does Regent allow people to break up the flight time through a stopover of two or three days, before going to our destination?

We're starting to plan our 2018 vacations, but may end up with only trips within the US, unless we can solve this problem,

Thanks.

#248277 - 05/20/17 07:48 PM Re: Regent airfare with stopovers enroute? [Re: Joanandjoe]  
Ngaire Offline
Ngaire  Offline

Dallas, Texas
I do know people have had stopovers on a Regent flight schedule. It all depends on the contract Regent has with the airlines, the itinerary and the airlines rules. If it can be done there is usually a stopover charge that is an airline charge rather than a Regent charge.

You can always do your own air. The air credit Regent offers now to many destinations is more than the cost to buy your own air. However, even doing your own air there can be stopover charges but it is usually allowed for a fee.

Long flights are just never easy. I always preferred to go straight through but as long as there is a hotel IN THE AIRPORT then I like spending a night in-between two flights. Qatar airlines is a great airline and there is a hotel right in the secure gate area it is very easy. Getting into taxis and transfers for a one night stay I find more hassle that it is worth. Your idea of 2 or 3 days would make it much easier.

See pictures of our adventures here or follow me on
Pinterest!
#248280 - 05/20/17 10:36 PM Re: Regent airfare with stopovers enroute? [Re: Ngaire]  
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
Ms Understood  Offline
cruiser

So Cal
Interesting Ngaire. I decided to skip Emirates free hotel for our 8 hour layover and booked the plane-side hotel in the terminal because it just felt like more trouble than it was worth to leave the airport even for free esp given that our flight leaves Dubai at 3am. Happy to know that you have found it to be indeed more hassle than it is worth!
-------------------
Helen

#248281 - 05/21/17 03:33 AM Re: Regent airfare with stopovers enroute? [Re: Joanandjoe]  
petlover Offline
cruiser
petlover  Offline
cruiser

Fullerton, CA
JoanandJoe, funny you should bring this subject up. I too find it difficult to sleep on most planes. Yesterday was an exception as I did sleep since we were traveling East and it was night time.

Friday we flew from Los Angeles to Amsterdam at 4:55pm purposely choosing the longest layover possible without it counting as a separate flight. We arrived in Amsterdam around 1:00pm Saturday and checked into the Crowne Plaza (close by but not on airport property). We showered and walked into the local village yesterday afternoon. Found a nice massage parlor and had a massage, walked around a mall, ate a nice dinner last night, and came back to the hotel, had a night cap in the bar and went to bed around 9:30pm. We Slept real well and now we're up, well rested to go back to the airport for our 10:00am flight to Cape Town.

It sure worked well for us breaking up the trip. Unfortunately, we're not able to do it on our return flight so we'll just bite the bullet. I think it's easier going home though. We arranged our own air.

Marcie

#248284 - 05/21/17 02:25 PM Re: Regent airfare with stopovers enroute? [Re: Joanandjoe]  
Anna B. Offline
cruiser
Anna B.  Offline
cruiser

Ohio
Marcie, I'm so glad to know this worked out so well for you. I will definitely plan our next long haul flight this way. It might just open up a lot more opportunities for travel. How's the jet lag? Enjoy Birkenhead House......heaven on earth!

Kathy

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers

bklogo

NGAIRE & KEN'S
HOSTED VOYAGES

**Offering Enhanced KLT Rewards**

Ngaire Ken

Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Jan 23-Feb 13, 2018 - Lima to Buenos Aires | Chile (Chilean Fjords), Argentina, Peru, Uruguay

Regent Seven Seas Voyager, Mar 24-Apr 22, 2018 - Bali to Bangkok | Sacred Lands of the East

Africa Safari, Group Safari Pictures - May 27-June 24, 2018 | HIPPO

Silversea | Silver Explorer, Jul 25-Aug 13, 2018 - Nome to Nome | Alaska Expedition Cruise

Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Nov 1-Nov 15, 2018 - Honolulu to Papeete | Hawaiian Sunsets and Tahitian Moons

Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Dec 15, 2018-Jan 20, 2019 - Sydney to Sydney | Grand Aussie Adventure

Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Mar 28-Apr 13, 2019 - Shanghai to Tokyo | Way of the Emperors

Regent Seven Seas Explorer, Aug 8-20, 2019 - Copenhagen to Oslo | Norwegian Peaks & Fjords
back-to-back with
Aug 20-30, 2019 - Oslo to Stockholm | Scandinavian Summer

Regent Seven Seas Navigator, Oct 3-15, 2019 - Montreal to New York City | Colors of the Fall

Regent Seven Seas Voyager, Nov 16-Dec 6, 2019 - Dubai to Singapore | Opulent Capitals & Sacred Shrines

Regent Seven Seas Mariner, Apr 29-May 17, 2020 - Rome to Miami | Barcelona, Bermuda & Beyond

REGENT SPECIALS

Free Land Programs in ALL Suite Categories on Select Voyages: Eligible dates

Single Supplement Specials on Select Voyages: Eligible dates

Kids Sail from $499 on Select Voyages: Eligible dates

VOYAGES
HOSTED BY KLT STAFF

Cruise with your favorite Keene Luxury Travel Staff Member in 2018, 2019, or 2020
5% KLT Reward plus Shipboard Credit available (amount varies per voyage)!
2018 Details | 2019 Details | 2020 Details

Susan

Hosted by
Susan Walsh

Susan's Voyages

Linda
Hosted by
Linda Litteken

Linda's Voyages

Clay

Hosted by
Clay Keene