Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (mp8shnt, Ralph W.), 760 guests
Newest Members
Obiliro, ConnorWood, DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD(41383 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247257 10/31/16 07:22 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Bravo Bravo !! Love seeing all these pictures....it's been 10 years since we were there but seeing all these GREAT pictures brings back such good memories.

I'm so happy the weather is nice. Keep enjoying your fabulous trip...more good times to follow smiles

Marcie

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247258 10/31/16 09:33 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Love the pics. We have been to that llama place. They are pretty mean animals but make good wool. But they will spit on you if you upset them at all. We had one on the ranch for awhile. He tried to sexually assault all the heifers, but they would have none of that business.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247259 11/01/16 07:29 AM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
The small group has arrived in Cusco!!!!!
On the minibus. Life is good!

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247260 11/01/16 11:22 AM
Ngaire Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
We love our guide Freddy he did a great job yesterday for us in Machu Picchu. We did the easy stuff yesterday and then this morning did some of the higher climbs. It is a magical place. The weather was spectacular sunny and not hot.

The dinner last night was included and excellent we had a good time. A little Pisco tasting before dinner.

This morning we met at 6.00 am and went into Machu Picchu to do the climb for the best view of the sunrise. It was very cloudy and a totally different beauty. However that meant no visual sunrise. We enjoyed the clouds rolling in and out it was beautiful.

We came back for breakfast and then headed out again.

The boys went up the high mountain and the girls were going to try to reach the sun gate. Helen, Jerry and I stayed behind and chilled out and will be here to greet the other five when they arrive.

The great thing is that it is another gorgeous day so happy the next group will have the same experience.

Next is the Hiram Bingham train to Cuzco. That is always a wonderful dinner and a luxurious train.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247262 11/01/16 06:28 PM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Awesome day! The 3:00 am get up to meet the guide in the hotel lobby at 3:30 was worth it! The 5:30 am flight to Cusco was on time. The train ride up was great. Lunch was awesome at the Sanctuary Lodge ! Just awesome! We got to meet up with the other group briefly. So Ngaire's weather mojo rubbed off on us!

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247265 11/01/16 10:59 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
After our trek to watch the sunrise in Macchu Pichu I elected to just chill for the rest of the day with Ngaire while the rest went on their respective hikes. We saw Kim and Alice and briefly met Kens brother Richard and his wife Lori. After tea we boarded the Hiram Bingham train for the trip back to Cusco. They served pre dinner pisco sours and then a very nice multi course dinner. Upon arrival in Cusco the ever faithful Freddie was waiting with a van to take us to the Hotel Monasterio. This is another very impressive hotel. Haven't seen much yet but the courtyards, reception and our actual room with its balcony are lovely. Tomorrow we will tour the old town of Cusco, spend one more night here and head on to Ecuador. The great weather continues!
-------------------
Helen

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247267 11/02/16 06:04 AM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Our small group!
[Linked Image]

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247269 11/02/16 05:08 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Monasterio is a very classic hotel and very nice, but beware the instant you set outside. At certain times of the day, we were instantly swarmed by kids asking for money, trying to sell us stuff, etc.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247271 11/02/16 07:33 PM
Ngaire Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Rachel, We had the same experience last time we were in Cuzco. This time there was almost none of that. Two girls with a llama to take pictures that we liked and one guy with paintings. Freddy our guide warned us about it but we seemed to be hassle free.

The weather report was terrible and our weather has been great. Freddy said now he was leaving he could not control the weather. Right at that moment there were a few drops of rain. Amazing coincidence. He was a great guide and I will request him in 2018.

Peru has been excellent and a super nice group of people that bonded well. As or Freddy said " his beautiful family". I am in love with Pisco Sours again

We all met for drinks tonight and as Alex said the only thing that could make it better would be to have the other group with us. But we will see them tomorrow at the airport.

Been great but now we move onto the next adventure, the Galapagos. Looking forward to seeing everyone joining us on the next part of our journey.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247272 11/02/16 07:43 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Leaving The Sacred Valley and first day in Machu Picchu:

[Linked Image]
A house full of Guinea Pigs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Jerry's Kids.

[Linked Image]

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247274 11/03/16 01:26 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
Sitting waiting for our flight. We will spend the night in Miami in order to get our flight to Quito tomorrow.

Now for the totally crazy this can't be real thing. We are walking to our gate in Tulsa when here comes my friend Jodie. We have known her and her husband Mark for years as they used to be physicians at the hospital where I practice. And she says "are you guys ready for the Galapagos?" Turns out, they are friends with Clay and in our group. Super fun people. This is really going to an awesome trip. And we will be thoroughly equipped for any medical emergencies.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247275 11/03/16 03:00 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
See you tomorrow, Rachel. Clay told me his friends from Tulsa were coming and he suspected they knew you. We just got to JW Mariott so gonna freshen up and head to the bar
-----------------------
Helen

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247276 11/03/16 04:49 PM
Anna B. Offline
cruiser
cruiser
What a great group of people you've got there! Sure wish we were with you. If there's any karaoke I need a video of House of the Rising Sun dance

Kathy
Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247277 11/03/16 04:50 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
That is crazy!! Jodie and Mark and us have been friends for years. The boys practically grew up at their house.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247278 11/03/16 08:37 PM
Ngaire Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Sad to say goodbye to Peru. Our guide said he organized the good weather but once he left us his influence would not work. As he hugged us goodbye a few drops of rain fell. We could not believe it.

Early start on our flights from Cuzco to Lima to Quito The Quito JW Marriott is a nice hotel and the room is spacious. Kens brother Richard and his wife Lori are on the trip too. So the four of us went to the craft market and there we found Kim, Alice and their friend Florie. We started walking back and looked at many restaurants for dinner.

We settled on a pizza restaurant and once inside it was charming. Lovely tables and decor, quiet with just light background music. Started with a tomato soup that was great and then a nice thin crust pizza. Really a nice meal.

Tomorrow a bunch of our group are going on a private tour but we are going to decide what we will do in the morning. We have been here before so may just take it easy. Two nights here and then off to the Galapagos.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247279 11/03/16 08:57 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I was sad to say goodbye to Peru. I really liked Peru. A very colorful country with such interesting culture.

We had some drinks in the lobby bar with Clay and Jennifer and Ed and Michele and Barbara and Fred. Kim and Florie stopped by. Some if us then had dinner in the steak house here at the Marriott. The empanadas were delicious and the steaks were really good. Way too much food on this trip and I don't think that's going to change ?

We got our Silversea letter with instructions regarding our departure date, so I am now washing the soles of my shoes of any and all potential contaminants, lol. They seem quite organized, at least in theory so we will see.

Tomorrow 13 of our group are going on a private tour I booked awhile ago. Silversea is offering a number of tours tomorrow as well but who knew? This information was not apparently available until today. Way too late for we compulsive planners!

Kathy, you can count on that video coming your way😄
-----------------
Helen

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ms Understood] #247280 11/03/16 09:00 PM
Anna B. Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thanks, Helen! Knew I could count on you!

Kathy
Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247281 11/04/16 08:20 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Thus far your trip sounds just perfect! Yum thin crust pizza, I would have been right there with you!

Rachel, it is amazing what a small world sometimes with your friends Jodie & Mark from Tulsa joining you. Reminds me of when we went to Napa Valley with friends we met on a river cruise in France. His brother and wife joined us there, only to find out that one of his brothers lives in my Tulsa home I grew up in (built by my Dad) !!

Tomorrow you get on the Silver Explorer! Have a great time.

P.S. I can picture Jerry singing "House of the Rising Sun" in the lounge.

Marcie

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247282 11/04/16 11:21 AM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Clay, Ed & Ken climb Waynapicchu:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Clay.

[Linked Image]
Ken.

[Linked Image]
Ed.

[Linked Image]
Fredy, our guide.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247283 11/04/16 11:39 AM
Anna B. Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wow! Love these photos!

Kathy
Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247284 11/04/16 08:22 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Cusco, Peru:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Ed & Michelle.

[Linked Image]
Barbara & Alex.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The local beer in Cusco.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247285 11/04/16 09:55 PM
azgkrudi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Talk about PRICELESS photos. And the memories to go with them!!!

Kristin

Paul Gauguin's Tere Moana-12/14
Voyager-10/08, 11/10
Navigator-05/07, 5/09, 10/11
Paul Gauguin-6/06, 12/07
Silver Shadow-12/06
Silver Whisper-11/05, 12/04
Silver Wind-4/04
Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247287 11/05/16 06:53 AM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We had a great day touring Quito with Helen Jerry Barbara Fred and Florie. Wonder dinner with the addition of racheal and George! Now in the bus to airport. On to Galápagos!

[Linked Image]

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247289 11/05/16 07:01 PM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
We have arrived in the Galapagos and are onboard. Really outstanding lunch at the outside grill with a wonderful fresh salad bar and yummy grilled seabass.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247291 11/06/16 06:58 AM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We had a beautiful sunset as Silver Galápagos set sail yesterday. The day was spent unpacking and attending the muster drill and some briefings and (one to meet the expedition staff and get some instruction on the Zodiacs and the second to be advised what to expect today ). Quite a few options really for a very busy day: short pleasant walk, harder climb, shallow beach break + snorkeling and/or deep water snorkeling. Dinner was good but not great, lunch at the grill was better. I suspect we will not starve.
-----------------
Helen

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247292 11/06/16 08:01 AM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Up at 5:22 am to look for boobies. Saw so many birds as we headed for Genovesa. Can't wait for our first deep water snorkeling expedition today! Great time at dinner last night with Ngaire and Ken and our friend Florie. Heading to get some breakfast now.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247293 11/06/16 11:32 AM
Ngaire Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
We enjoyed dinner last night. Great company for sure. I had lamb that was good but after seeing the prawns I wished I had ordered those. Most of the time prawns turn out to be small shrimp. These were huge and looked so good. If they show up on the menu again I will be all over that.

We are all in the same group for the duration of the trip so that is nice.

This morning we are a Genovesa island. W started with a beach walk. It was very slow pace just like a stroll. We were stopping constantly to see the birds, sea lions, and crabs. The birds were completely relaxed so beautiful up close with the babies churping for food.

We saw lava gulls, swallow tail gulls, red footed boobies, nazca boobies, great frigate birds, , Galapagos dove, yellow warbler and some other small birds. Really enjoyed the outing. For those that wish to snorkel that that activity is offered as well p, both shallow and deep water snorkeling.

This Afternoon a walk up the Prince Phillip Steps and then walking along the ridge is the activity for our group.

Really surprised with the ship. I really love it. Lots of light wood paneling and blue and white decor. The cabins are nice and the main lounge is fantastic. Two big conversation areas that seat TWELVE people. Great for our groups. Larger lounge the Silver Explorer. I also like the dining room. Wish this ship had an ice hull or at least went to other areas of the world. So far no hesitation at all in recommending this ship.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247295 11/07/16 08:02 AM
R
RachelG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
R
The prawns were delicious, Ngaire, and huge. Sometimes when prawns are that large, they are kind of tough, but these weren't.

I love this ship too. Good public areas and decent size rooms for an expedition ship. Shower is very nice. And the outside grill is way larger than on explorer.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247296 11/07/16 12:03 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
This morning some of us took the longer, tougher hike on Seymour Norte while others of us (notably me and Ngaire!) elected the shorter walk with a Zodiac cruise. It was spectacular! From the Zodiac we saw several male frigate birds in full red swell and were lucky enuf to be watching when one started his mating dance and captured the heart of a lovely female of his species. We also saw a few fur seals and land iguanas.

After the Zodiac cruise we walked around and saw blue- footed boobies of all ages and quite a few more land iguanas. Those are BIG! We also saw lots more fur seals including some very tiny pups. A great morning !

I am not a swimmer so I am now having a cup,of coffee and some vanilla muffins and watching the Zodiacs with the deep- water snorkelers heading out for their mid- morning adventure. When they return we will head on to the island of Bahia Sullivan for the afternoon's activities.
-------------------------
Helen
'

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247297 11/07/16 12:19 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Bahia Darwin, Venovesa, Galapagos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Red Footed Booby.

[Linked Image]
Swallow-tailed Gull.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Red-billed Tropicbird.

[Linked Image]
Nasca Booby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Red Footed Booby.

[Linked Image]
Striated Heron.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247298 11/07/16 12:20 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
[Linked Image]
Lava Gull.

[Linked Image]
Swallow-Tailed Gull.

[Linked Image]
Yellow Warbler.

[Linked Image]

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247299 11/07/16 03:15 PM
Ngaire Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Great morning. We were at North Seymour island to start our day. There were two options. A two hour walk OR a zodiac ride and a one hour walk. I think both options were good.

Our highlight was in the zodiac when we saw a male frigate bird with his red sack fully extended to attract a female. He started to do his dance as well and a female flew down to join him. I guess he was too hard to resist. We could not see the dance that well so hope we will see this again.

We saw lots of birds, the blue footed booby, frigate birds displaying, chicks of different species. Plus sea lions, seals and land iguanas. Really nice outing.

Certainly enjoying this trip more than our last trip. We have seen more this time and the weather has been much more pleasant.

Ken is working on pictures now and should have some more for you soon.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247300 11/07/16 03:56 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
El Barranco, Venovesa, Galapagos:

[Linked Image]
Galapogos Dove.

[Linked Image]
Female Frigatebird.

[Linked Image]
Large Ground Finch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247302 11/08/16 02:20 AM
jhp Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Haha, Ngaire, you know I am a crab person and when I saw those crabs earlier in Ken's photos, I was all over it, doing research for my kids. But indeed, these are just cute little playthings!

The pictures of all the birds are beautiful! I think Ken first got his bird's eye for the camera on our first trip to Africa on Roar 1, when I remember Anne Drennan having her little list to check off!

So glad everyone is having a great cruise!

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247304 11/08/16 11:51 AM
Ngaire Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Another great morning. Early start at 7.15 Am as there is a lot on offer today. Walk to the top of the hill, snorkeling, kayaking all before lunch. Zodiac cruises this afternoon.

The walk was good at Rabida island we have not landed here before. . Greeted early on by a very pink flamingo. Such a beautiful bird. Walking the beach with the sea lions, amazing cactus plants growing out of bare rock with an unusual brown bark. Up close to the Galapagos Hawk. Something interesting all the way. We have had different naturalists on each excursion. So far they have all been good.

My first trip to Galapagos I was not very enthralled. The reason why I have not been back for 10 years. It was REALLY hot, a boat not even close to the silver Galapagos, the food was extremely average , and our guide was not as good as these guides. We have already seen more on this trip that we did on our last trip in a much more comfortable ship. No comparison between the two trips.

Hopefully ken will have time to post more pictures today.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247305 11/08/16 03:18 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
North Seymore, Galapagos:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Lava Lizard.

[Linked Image]
Blue Footed Booby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Male Magnificent Frigatebird.

[Linked Image]
Land Iguana.

[Linked Image]
Baby Frigatebird.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247306 11/08/16 03:48 PM
Ngaire Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Lunch today we should have taken a picture. Giant prawns from the grill. Absolutely yummy. I asked for a double order and although that was a lot I could have eaten more because these were the best prawns I have ever tasted. They are caught fresh right here in the Galapagos. Ken ordered grouper and that was outstanding also. All the seafood served is fresh from the Galapagos waters. Worth coming here for the seafood.

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247307 11/08/16 04:11 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Sullivan Bay, Santiago, Galapagos:

[Linked Image]
Two Galapagos Penguins.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Snorkeling at the beach.

[Linked Image]
The Lava Walk.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247308 11/08/16 05:04 PM
Ms Understood Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ngaire, we are so very glad you decided to give this trip another try. We have loved every minute! We have a great group. The weather could not be better, not too hot and not too chilly. Interesting scenery and animals, Calm seas, friendly crew, nice ship, generally just a great trip.
-------------------
Helen

Re: Iguana sea mail [Re: Ngaire] #247309 11/09/16 12:33 PM
lonestarlady Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Would love to hear a report from the snorkelers.

Cindy
TravelingTexasDuo.com

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers