Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, Davefr, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 816 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245353 11/25/15 06:40 AM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Photos From Kwandwe Private Reserve:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Large Bull Elephant.

[Linked Image]
There was a piece of wire stuck in the bottom his foot, and he managed to get it out using his tusk.

[Linked Image]

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245354 11/25/15 06:43 AM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245355 11/25/15 08:32 AM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Loved those reports, Ngaire!! Thank you for posting such great details. Some very interesting sightings.
Awesome pictures, Ken!

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245356 11/25/15 10:11 AM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Ken's pictures are amazing as always! Makes me feel like I am there. Loving Ngaire's reports too. Can't wait to hear about the darting!

Arlene
Adventure before Dementia!
Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245357 11/25/15 10:17 AM
Betty Offline
cruiser
cruiser
WOW. Just WOW.

Betty
Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245358 11/25/15 10:22 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
What wonderful reporting and photos ! Amazing !! Love the bull elephant !! I didn't even realize that there was a safari following this cruise. What a wonderful trip....first the riverboat, then the cruise and now a safari !!

Marcie

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245359 11/25/15 10:48 AM
Anna B. Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Wonderful reports! Your love for safaris comes through in every word, Ngaire! And Ken, Wow! Those photos are beautiful. That bull elephant sure brings back some vivid memories!

Kathy
Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245360 11/25/15 11:11 AM
Jim B Online
cruiser
cruiser
Fantastic!! Thank you for the reports.

Jim

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245361 11/25/15 03:21 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
THIRD GAME DRIVE

This afternoon we went out with Ryan. He is a great ranger they are both REALLY good. They both tell you what is going on and have great personalities. No egos here at all just real nice guys.

Another good day. We went back to the cheetahs we could see them on the hill but could not get to the area. They had not moved from this morning. Finally we gave up and left the cheetahs. Key sightings today.

We walked down to the river to see a group of hippos. As we got off the vehicle we found a really tiny white frog with bright red legs. Ryan had not seen a frog like this so he is going to research to figure it out. When I say TINY I mean really tiny. The hippos were fine but I have seen a lot of hippos I loved the frog.

We saw another group of ostrich. Today I learned they are also called a pride as their call sounds like a lions roar. There were two females very close to us and they ran across the road in front of us they are fun to watch running.

We went to a plains area and had some great sightings. A group of springbok that also ran across the road. I thought impala could jump high but springbok are amazing. Ken will post a picture. These are pretty antelope with great markings.

Then we saw Red Hartebeest with some youngsters. That was a nice sighting as they were moving around. We also saw a nice herd of black wildebeest but they were not close like the other animals.

The highlight were the oryx. Finally a large group. These must be one of the most impressive plains animals. The huge horns, gorgeous markings and so big. This group posed for us and were very close. There were also some babies and they are really precious.

The final surprise was a joint sundowners with outstanding snacks on a ladder. Looked like a pyramid so cleverly done. Underneath was champagne. We took a picture. They had smoked salmon, hamburger sliders, chicken wraps, phyllo pastry filled with spinach and cheese, plus other goodies. Probably the best sundowners we have ever had.

Another dinner (too much food) and back in the room by 8.30 pm. Wrote this up as if I do not do it right away it won't get done.

Tomorrow morning. RHINO DARTING.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245363 11/26/15 06:49 AM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Where to start. It was an experience that exceeded my expectations.

RHINO DARTING
We left about 6.15 am and drove to meet Angus and his team who are involved in the protection of the Kwandwe rhinos. As we arrived the helicopter landed with the vet and of course the pilot. Angus is a very impressive individual who explained the entire process to us and the research taking place. We were all hanging on every word he presented the information so well. He introduced the vet who discussed the darting process. The anesthesia used is deadly to humans but as weak as they can go with a rhino. They strongly warned us about touching the rhino close to the dart as that could be lethal. We were introduced to the team about eight people involved.

The helicopter took off to find the rhino selected for darting. A 14 month old female rhino. They explained that they may also have to dart the mother. We sat in anticipation as we waited for word from the helicopter. Then the word came and it was like following wild dogs. Top speed on a mission.

We saw the helicopter circling the rhinos and then they said the rhinos had been darted. Then the helicopter was used to guide the rhinos to an open area. We could see the two rhinos and once the rhinos were down and blindfolded we were able to get off the vehicles. People got off faster than I have ever seen. We walked quickly to the baby rhino. Touching the skin was amazing. The hide is tough like a rock but behind the ears and the lips is really soft. Such a contrast.

They started to do the work on the young rhino as quickly as possible. The drilled a hole in the rhinos horn to implant a tracking chip. They gave shots I think they took blood they were very busy.

We decided to move onto the mother. This way we were out of the way of the workers and we all wanted to see the mother. This was the most amazing part. She was so large and without the vet and assistants around we were able to get closer and take a lot of pictures. Being this close to a rhino is impossible to describe. AWESOME comes to mind. You see the true size of the entire animal, and I was fascinated by the size of their feet.

The rhinos were moving slightly they were not totally out as I had anticipated. That really surprised me. The staff were checking their breathing and making sure they were okay. Two Rangers were pushing on side of the small rhino to stop it from totally laying down on its side. Bet their arms got tired.

We were like bees to honey. All milling around the mother, wanting to keep touching, wanting pictures and not get in each other's way. Normally it is a maximum of eight people but they allowed the twelve of us to do it together. I can see why they have a maximum of eight everyone is so excited it is hard to control the enthusiasm and be considerate of others. I think we did a marvelous job together of making it work for everyone.

This is something that must be arranged in advance as a private experience, for one to eight adults. They normally dart about eight to ten times a year and it made us feel good that we had made a contribution to connservation of the rhino.

We finally had to leave and went back to our vehicles. We place the vehicles in a spot where we could see the rhinos recover. They injected both animals at the same time and in a very short time they started to come around. A little groggy when they first got up and a bit disoriented. The youngster start heading towards us so we backed up. Then mom came and after a bit of confusion they got together and walked off calmly as if nothing had happened.

We did spend about another hour on our game drive but I found it hard to focus with my mind going back to the rhinos. We had a great meerkat sighting that Mark really wanted so he was happy.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245364 11/26/15 07:12 AM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
More From Kwandwe:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245365 11/26/15 07:15 AM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245369 11/26/15 08:04 PM
azgkrudi Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Oh my goodness, rhino darting and meerkats afterward! What a fantastic outing. Is that little frog you referred to a marbled reed frog, maybe? As always, FANTASTIC pics. How I wish we were there, but the pictures really transport us. Thank you!!!

Kristin

Paul Gauguin's Tere Moana-12/14
Voyager-10/08, 11/10
Navigator-05/07, 5/09, 10/11
Paul Gauguin-6/06, 12/07
Silver Shadow-12/06
Silver Whisper-11/05, 12/04
Silver Wind-4/04
Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245373 11/28/15 01:36 PM
Mrs. Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
No pictures of the darting?

Arlene
Adventure before Dementia!
Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245376 11/28/15 03:54 PM
Ngaire Online OP
cruiser
OP Online
cruiser
Traveling home now did not get time to post. In Doha right now it is midnight. We leave at 8.00 am so no more pictures until Monday at the earliest. ken is anxious to post them they will come.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245377 11/28/15 05:56 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
I received an email from Ralph & June and I don't think they would mind sharing this with all of you. What a thrill this must have been.

.....Early this morning June and I were able to participate in the darting of a female Rhino and her calf. This is something that is done on a regular basis to identify the Rhinos. DNA, blood samples and electronic chips are placed in the calf to allow for monitoring the health of the seriously endangered animals. Impossible to describe what an experience this was.

First Glass is a wine store in Takapuna that has a photo contest for photos that have their bag included which is why we took the photo they way we did. I have entered the photo in their contest.

[Linked Image]

Marcie

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245397 12/02/15 11:31 AM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Photos From the Rhino Darting:

[Linked Image]
The helicopter took off in search of the Rhinos.

[Linked Image]
We are in Hot pursuit, very exciting.

[Linked Image]
They found the Rhinos.

[Linked Image]
Good shot.

[Linked Image]
A hole is drilled into horn of the baby rhino for the tracking chip.

[Linked Image]
Antibiotics are administered:

[Linked Image]
Breathing of the baby is also checked:

[Linked Image]
Blood is taken to check the baby's health:

[Linked Image]
Photos taken with mother - Ken & Sheila.

[Linked Image]
Mark & Cheron.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245398 12/02/15 11:43 AM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
[Linked Image]
Paul & Susan.

[Linked Image]
Sheila, Pam, Cheron, June, Susan, & Ngaire.

[Linked Image]
Look at the wheels on the mother.

[Linked Image]
The baby wakes up.

[Linked Image]
Mother and baby run off into the bush after they wake up from darting.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245400 12/02/15 01:12 PM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
This is just so amazing, I'm SO HAPPY that you were able to witness this. I can't even imagine how exciting it must have been. The photos are amazing and the captions really tell the story. Thanks so much for sharing this awesome morning with us.

Marcie

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245401 12/02/15 02:08 PM
seadog Offline
cruiser
cruiser
You really get a different perspective on how big they are when you see people standing next to them as opposed to seeing them from the height of the seats in the Land Rovers.

Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245405 12/04/15 10:08 AM
Betty K Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Awesome photos!!

Betty

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]
Re: SEA MAIL FROM AFRICA - Mariner October 31 - Lisbon to Cape Town [Re: Ngaire] #245420 12/06/15 02:59 PM
Ken Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Last Game Drive:

[Linked Image]
Black Wildebeest, also called the White-Tailed Gnu.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Sable antelope, very rare. This is only the third time we have seen them.

[Linked Image]
Beautiful Male Sable.

[Linked Image]
Young Male Lion as we were leaving the reserve.

[Linked Image]
30 seconds later.

[Linked Image]
Cape Town the day of our departure.

[Linked Image]
Large Elephant at the Cape Town Airport.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers