Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Yallcruise, Ralph W., Ngaire, Davefr, DennisK, Jim B, 1 invisible), 816 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gold Platinum event #220416 09/30/06 05:07 AM
H
hrprof Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
H
Have read on another board that a special Gold-Platinum event on Mush fell short of expectations - any further observations?

Re: Gold Platinum event #220417 09/30/06 05:32 AM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
The dinner was held in a closed off portion of La Verandah on the night of the SSS Party. There were 22 guests and four staff. The four staff were the Captain, Assistant Cruise Director Dionne, Assistant Food and Beverage Manager Dan Collins, and Brian O'Brien. We were in a large square with the four staff at the midpoints of each side. The room was decorated very nicely and they had the guitarist providing music.

The first disappointment was that we were only offered the regular La Verandah menu. Given it was SSS Party night, both Compass Rose and La Verandah had special menus; Rack of Lamb, Beef Wellington, and Dover Sole in Compass Rose and the Steakhouse menu in La Verandah. However, we didn't even get the steakhouse menu. All we had was a choice of two appetizer/soup/salad courses and a main dish. We had no choice on dessert as it was a cannoli and tiramisu. In fact, when it came time to offer wine with the main course, the Sommellier mentioned that the red wine selected was chosen because it goes so well with steak. Only problem was that there was no steak on the menu.

ONE waiter took the orders for all 26 people. It took him close to a half hour to take orders. When serving each of the three courses, there were only two waiters for all 26 people. It ended up that many of the guests were finished with their dishes before the Captain was even served. Yes, it would have been better for those served earliest to wait but it was taking ten minutes to complete the serving of an individual course. After a 7:30pm start, the main course was served starting at 9:35pm (by this time I was looking at my watch). The Captain was served at 9:45pm; I was served about five minutes later.

The reason that this upset me so much was that the execution was terrible; poor menu selection, poor choice in number of staff, and lack of any formality to the dinner. Not in terms of the dress but rather the norm of all being served and then getting a "bon appetit" from the Captain before everyone digs in.

If this was supposed to be a reward for loyalty to Regent, the menu and execution were complete disappointments.

Re: Gold Platinum event #220418 09/30/06 05:57 AM
petlover Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Marc, I'm happy you spelled it all out. It sounds like a large part of the problem was too little wait staff for the number of people.

We opted not to go to the gold/platinum dinner in LaVeranda. We did go to the Platinum dinner in the Connosseur Club a night or two earlier which was much smaller and very very nice. We sat at one round table so it was easier to converse. We too had a set menu (choice between 2 of each). All food came out of Signatures. The main entree choices were either fish or lamb. I didn't care for either so they were happy to make me a delicious filet mignon. There were so many different courses, it went on and on so it made for a late ending but it was first class in every way. Our Platinum dinner was also attended by the Captain, HD Richard, and Brian O'Brien. We didn't have any entertainment, just nice conversation with one another.

Marcie

Re: Gold Platinum event #220419 10/15/06 02:59 PM
Marc Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Any feedback on whether I should send this "gripe" into Regent? Or, should I let it just die?

Re: Gold Platinum event #220420 10/15/06 03:13 PM
cruisinfanatic Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Go for it Marc!!! Why not???? Maybe, as a Gold member they will take into account your thoughts.

JoAnn
Re: Gold Platinum event #220421 10/15/06 03:21 PM
joannapv Offline
cruiser
cruiser
We also opted not to go and so happy we passed - I would think they'd appreciate hearing your take on the evening -

Joanna
Re: Gold Platinum event #220422 10/16/06 03:14 AM
jackie Offline
cruiser
cruiser
As a soon to be gold & a platinum wannbe (mainly to get out of doing laundry) I would like to quote that famous philsopher, Yertle the Turtle, "You up above are seeing great things while we here below are suffering."

Regards, Jackie

Jackie
Re: Gold Platinum event #220423 10/16/06 03:49 AM
Beth Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Well, Marc, your dinner was a huge leap above our Laundry Room Cocktail Party this summer on the Mariner. It sounds like they are trying to get it right, but the logistics just didn't make it for your dinner. One waiter for 26 people was a huge burden on the waiter and guests. Maybe we should give RSSC some more suggestions, again. Didn't we all get an email survey awhile back? I wonder why they didn't take some of those ideas.

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers