Luxury Cruise Talk Logo

Keene Luxury Travel
800-856-1155 · 972-701-9292
Join Our Mailing List · Email us

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (Davefr, Ralph W., Ngaire, Yallcruise, Jim B, 1 invisible), 660 guests
Newest Members
DennisK, SuprDave, BarbD, johnsmithpmt, Juliehoover(41381 Registered Users)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hotel in Rio (day room) after LLAMA? #215435 01/07/10 06:04 AM
Dreps Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
I thought that I better start thinking about what we're going to do after we disembark in Rio on the 23rd, given that our flight doesn't leave until 10:30 PM.

Has anyone come up with a good idea for a day room at a hotel? I assume we will dump our luggage somewhere and do a little more touring before heading to the airport.

----------------

Eugene

Re: Hotel in Rio (day room) after LLAMA? #215436 01/07/10 07:04 AM
J
JanG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
We decided to do something different so we have a private tour booked for disembarkation day that is taking us to the Imperial City, Petropolis about 1.5 hours away from Rio. He will have us back to Rio airport around 5:00pm in time for our 7:55 pm flight back.

Jan
2011-San Fran-Dubai
2010-Mariner-FL-Buenos Aires
2009-Alaska-Mariner
2008-Athens - FL - Navigator
2008-Lima-Buenos Aires-Mariner
2007 - Grand Crossing-Istanbul to FL
2006 - Grand Asia Pacific
Re: Hotel in Rio (day room) after LLAMA? #215437 01/07/10 07:18 AM
Island Cruiser Offline
cruiser
cruiser
About a month ago we spent our final day in Rio before boarding Voyager going to Petropolis. It's one of the best travel decisions we've made. Petropolis is fascinating, a total contrast to Rio. And the drive there through the mountains is beautiful. Furthermore, the airport is between Rio and Petropolis. So, Fred and Jan, you made a great decision IMO. Pat

Re: Hotel in Rio (day room) after LLAMA? #215438 01/07/10 09:46 AM
MooSa Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Paul and I are on the 10:30p.m. flight, too, using Regent's air. I think they hold your luggage for you at a hotel, but I have been debating just arranging our own tour/transfer.

Re: Hotel in Rio (day room) after LLAMA? #215439 01/07/10 10:12 AM
Dreps Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Jan, can you provide me with more specifics about the tour you have planned? Is there a Web site? Does whoever you are using have additional drivers?

Thanks.

--------------

Eugene

Re: Hotel in Rio (day room) after LLAMA? #215440 01/07/10 04:52 PM
Freddie Offline
cruiser
cruiser
Several people have asked us for info about the guide we used in Rio, so here is some dope (I will also post the info on the Guides forum for later reference):

We used a marvelous private guide for all four of our days in Rio in early December, sharing him with Wendy & David for two of those days. He is Cedric Diniz. Here is his contact info and blog:

Cedric Diniz

cedricdz@uol.com.br

http://cedricdz.blog.uol.com.br/

If Cedric is not available when you are in Rio, he has a couple of colleagues who are his very close friends. They all recommend one another when one is already booked:

Rafael (Rafa) Torres

donrafainrio@yahoo.es

http://donrafaguestsinrio.blogspot.com/

Emmanuel (Manu) Peclat

manu.peclat@gmail.com

All three of these guys have been repeatedly recommended by people on the CC boards (that's how we found them). Further, a number of LCTers have used one or more of them. I haven't met Manu; but I think Olivia used him last year. We have met Rafael (known as Rafa). He and Cedric (along with another guide, Marcone) joined Pat & me and Wendy & David for dinner on Voyager the night we boarded the ship, Dec. 4. It was great fun, indeed.

Any of these guys would be great choices to make the most of that day in Rio between disembarkation and the airport. Much better than hanging around the dreary dayroom at the Sofitel and trying to decide where to walk from there. Time in the "cidade maravilhosa" (the "marvelous city", as the Cariocas say) is precious, and should be used to the fullest.

Cheers (or as they say in Rio, "Tchau"), Fred

Re: Hotel in Rio (day room) after LLAMA? #215441 01/08/10 12:37 PM
J
JanG Offline
cruiser
cruiser
J
Eugene, We are using Madson Araujo. His website is www.tourguiderio.com. I think he is a single person. We have room in the van as it is only the two of us and he has a very nice larger van. The only issue would be luggage. We are shipping ours home with the exception of one checked and one carryon. We have to be at the airport by 5:00pm. He did say that we could detour to the airport and leave our luggage. We might be able to get an early departure from the ship so he could pick us up a little earlier to drop the luggage.

If you are interested we can talk more about it when we see you in Ft Lauderdale. We have lots of time to make arrangements for you to join us.

He has been very responsive in his e-mail communications!

All packed and ready to go. It was -10 this morning so even the "cold" temperatures in Florida will seem warm to us!

Jan

Jan
2011-San Fran-Dubai
2010-Mariner-FL-Buenos Aires
2009-Alaska-Mariner
2008-Athens - FL - Navigator
2008-Lima-Buenos Aires-Mariner
2007 - Grand Crossing-Istanbul to FL
2006 - Grand Asia Pacific
Re: Hotel in Rio (day room) after LLAMA? #215442 01/11/10 03:14 AM
Dreps Offline OP
cruiser
OP Offline
cruiser
Jan, Thanks for the offer. I already contacted one of Fred's guides, and I think we're set, though we haven't worked out any details yet because he was busy last week.

We are not boarding the Mariner until Lima after a 5-day trip to Machu Picchu. Also, as I mentioned at the outset, our plane doesn't depart Rio until 10:30 PM, so I think it would have been complicated to "combine forces."

Again, thanks for the offer. See you on the ship.

---------------

Eugene

Moderated by  KarenS 

Keene Luxury Travel Offers